VOGONS

First post, by zlucarson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I recently came across an IBM AT 5170 boxed at my local E-waste place, and I'm trying to do what I can to get it up and operational.
So far it boots up fine, but it's been a little finnicky at times. I'm still sort of in the process of learning how to operate it haha.
The issues I've identified so far are:
-The MDA card seems to only work when the screw holding the bracket in place is removed (I've cleaned the ISA connectors already, I think this issue may be caused by the screw moving how the ISA card is seated if that makes sense). When it isn't working it prevents the computer from POSTing.

-Keyboard Error 301 sometimes appears when booting (I'm not sure what could be causing this one, The cable and keyboard definitely work, I've cleaned the DIN and SDL pins on either side of the cable and the keyboard itself).

-The hard drive (type 13) doesn't seem to spin up period. I know these drives fail after a couple years usually, but it seems to be completely dead from all I can tell. I'd like to get it working if I can, but I'm not hopeful.

-I don't quite know whether my floppy drives are for double sided or high density disks, the diagnostic disk always sets my primary to high density, and my secondary to double sided automatically. Should I just leave both drives?

(also if any of you are curious, the MDA card is not installed in the internal photo)

Attachments

Reply 1 of 1, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, do you have another video card to test with?

Are you using the IBM Diagnostic/setup disk? Have you tried GSETUP from minuszerodegrees?

the way i see it, you have a 50/50 chance of being right on the floppies. I'd try to set them to HD first and see if they read/write any 1.2mb floppies.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave