VOGONS

First post, by SolidSonicTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got an HP Pavilion a420n that has an ASUS A7V8X-LA motherboard running an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU.

I'm trying to set it up but when I plug in a SATA storage device the BIOS doesn't see it on either SATA port. I've tried several SATA cables and different devices but none of them get picked up by the motherboard. I'm not sure how to proceed from here aside from using a SATA to IDE adapter (and I'd like to avoid it since it has SATA ports). The system's BIOS is 3.08 and I guess the most recent revision is 3.10 but I can't get into the OS in order to flash a new BIOS (since I don't have anything to boot into at the moment). I'm willing to set up an IDE HDD with Windows XP just to get the BIOS updated but before I go down that rabbit hole I'd like to see if anyone here knows if that'll address anything or they might know what I'm missing.

I have read that if it's trying to read something faster than SATA I (1.5 Gb/s) you have to dumb it down using jumpers. Not sure if that matters (I always thought SATA was backwards compatible with older generations and it would just run at a lower R/W if you're using it on lower spec controller).

UPDATE: Well...shoot, that does seem to be it. I located a drive I could dumb down to 1.5 Gb/s (actually it already was, meaning I've been running that drive at SATA I spec since forever) and plugging that in did cause it to be picked up by the BIOS. Now I'm not sure what I should do (I was trying to use a SATA III SSD in the PC but you can't dumb that down with jumpers, they have no reason to support SATA I speeds on it).

Reply 1 of 2, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've the same issue with my 8KRA2+ which also uses the Via 8237. I chose to use a SATA to IDE converter with an SSD.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 2, by SolidSonicTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So what I ended up doing was buying a 32GB SATA I SSD (these are pretty dang uncommon -- mine is from HP and I'm guessing it was an enterprise SSD since I figure the enterprise sector gets all the cool toys before the consumer market) and that seems to work (mounting it was annoying, I had to use M2 screws to put it on the 3.5" adapter sled).

So now with that out of the way, what OS should I run in this machine? I was thinking of running Windows Me but that would mean I need to scale back the RAM (it's currently sitting on 1.5 GB and I'd probably take it down to 768 MB if I were to put Me in) and I'm not sure if the GPU (a 256MB e-GeForce N6200) is suitable for a 9x platform (since I think Nvidia kind of gave up the ghost with 9x by the 6xxx GeForce cards). If I were to run XP would the 32GB of space I have be adequate (if I did run XP I'd probably then see how to crank the RAM up to 2 GB instead of 1.5)?