VOGONS

First post, by kepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got Toshiba T1000. This is 8088 laptop with 512k ram, single 3.5 720k floppy drive and DOS 2.11 in ROM. I got a problem with Floppy Drive, this floppy is 26 pin Citizen drive:
1. I try to format disks on various computers, drives OS's, none of them are working on Toshiba
2. When I Format disk on Toshiba, this disk is working ( i can format with /s option and boot pc from this floppy) and it's not readable on different floppy drive.
3. I manage to format floppy twice ( on PC and on Toshiba) when i put disk to toshiba it has single directory made on this laptop, when i put disk into PC it has freedos files, magic ...
4. I have 1.44 and 720k disks. It's not new ( 720k was formated on Amiga i think).
5. Of course i don't have any way to transfer data to Toshiba.
6. I order floppy adapter that looks like helps me with connecting ordinary floppy drive. I need to double check pinout, but maybe i put gotek ...
7. Last but not least, this Toshiba has DOS 2.11 but support for 720k disk was added in DOS 3.2. Interesting...

Reply 2 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it sounds like you have at least one drive out of alignment... but for sanity's sake check other drives against each other to make sure it's not one of those before trying to adjust the Toshiba.

However, as the Toshiba DOS is so old and didn't natively support 720k from MS, so there's a special patch or something, I'm wondering if it's problem unique to DOS versions lower than 3.3 FAT12 vs FAT16 or something... anyway to check for that, make a system disk, 720kb bootable disk on another MSDOS machine that is DOS 3.3 or higher, and try booting the Toshiba off that one. If that works, it's something weird about how Tosh handles 720kB under it's DOS version.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 4, by kepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2022-03-24, 10:04:

You need to mechanicaly calibrate (adjust position) of floppys head.

Thank you very much, using track 0 sensor bracket I manage to set this to read DOS disk. Its not great fix but working.

Reply 4 of 4, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kepak wrote on 2022-03-25, 09:27:
Babasha wrote on 2022-03-24, 10:04:

You need to mechanicaly calibrate (adjust position) of floppys head.

Thank you very much, using track 0 sensor bracket I manage to set this to read DOS disk. Its not great fix but working.

👍

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉