VOGONS

First post, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I recently bought an IBM Netvista. Model 6269-N2G. There was no hard drive so fitted in one of my bigfoots (you just gotta love the sounds of these hd v8s). Now I need help figuring out what kind hardware it has. My plan is to install windows 98 which I believe it was originally shipped with. The problem is I have no idea what drivers I need. I think it might have sis graphics but not sure. All I know now is that is has pentium 2 733MHz processor and everything else integrated on the mobo. What do I need to look for to identify all the onboard hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Ps. I will attach images later today.

Reply 1 of 18, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once you have installed W98 run my SIV32L utility, press [PCI Bus] and it should tell you all the PCI devices that are present. I get as below on my SiS chipset systems.

file.php?id=133274

StopNot wrote on 2022-03-22, 06:49:

All I know now is that is has pentium 2 733MHz processor

AFAIK there is no such CPU and the fastest is 450 MHz, either way the initial SIV screen should report the actual CPU.

Attachments

• SiS 672MX.png
    Filename
    SiS 672MX.png
    File size
    45.37 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    [PCI Bus] from a system with a SiS 672MX
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2022-03-22, 08:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 18, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
StopNot wrote on 2022-03-22, 06:49:
Hi guys, […]
Show full quote

Hi guys,

I recently bought an IBM Netvista. Model 6269-N2G. There was no hard drive so fitted in one of my bigfoots (you just gotta love the sounds of these hd v8s). Now I need help figuring out what kind hardware it has. My plan is to install windows 98 which I believe it was originally shipped with. The problem is I have no idea what drivers I need. I think it might have sis graphics but not sure. All I know now is that is has pentium 2 733MHz processor and everything else integrated on the mobo. What do I need to look for to identify all the onboard hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Ps. I will attach images later today.

The 6269-xxx seem to be from the NetVista A20 series based on the Intel i810E chipset. Here are a couple of links which might help

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/281724/Ibm- … tvista-A20.html

http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/netvista/a20a40tim.pdf

Reply 4 of 18, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2022-03-22, 08:07:

Once you have installed W98 run my SIV32L utility, press [PCI Bus] and it should tell you all the PCI devices that are present. I get as below on my SiS chipset systems.

I will try with the tool. Thanks.

Reply 5 of 18, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. Back to it. I tried the SIV32L util and here are the results. At least based on the information I was able to pick a few drivers. Not sure if they are correct and I haven't tried yet. I will report back when I have tested which ones actually work.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 18, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
StopNot wrote on 2022-03-22, 18:56:

Ok. Back to it. I tried the SIV32L util and here are the results. At least based on the information I was able to pick a few drivers.

Good, I don't know how good a 82810E Chipset Graphics driver there is for W98, but you could always get an external graphics card.

I have never tested SIV on a system with a 82810E DC-133 System and Graphics Controller, please will you do Menu->File->Save Local and post the save file so I can see how well it does?

Reply 7 of 18, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good, I don't know how good a 82810E Chipset Graphics driver there is for W98, but you could always get an external graphics card.

At least there was a driver for it and I'm not going 3d so I think it's enough.

I have never tested SIV on a system with a 82810E DC-133 System and Graphics Controller, please will you do Menu->File->Save Local and post the save file so I can see how well it does?

Sure.

BTW, How is the header string formed? I saw something that might be a machine name and a user name at the end at least...

Reply 8 of 18, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
StopNot wrote on 2022-03-23, 05:52:

BTW, How is the header string formed? I saw something that might be a machine name and a user name at the end at least...

The header line contents depend on the system, below I have highlighted the GetComputerName() + GetUserName() values. There is a tooltip that clarifies many of the fields.

file.php?id=133364

I just uploaded SIV32L 5.64 Beta-01 which should better report the 82810E Chipset Graphics

Attachments

Reply 9 of 18, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed your private message Red. I can't answer private messages. I assume that's because I'm still with noob status. I haven't forgotten. I've been having issues usb ports with the ibm and can't copy the file to a usb stick. Also my good old nas stopped working so that's not an option. Floppy disks won't help either. I could burn the file to a cd but that's a bit overkill. Maybe I'll try to fix my ftp server today or if you have one I could upload the file directly there.

Reply 10 of 18, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
StopNot wrote on 2022-03-28, 18:27:

I noticed your private message Red. I can't answer private messages.

OK, I am not sure how many posts you need to make and think it's either 20 to 25.

It's easy enough to get recent versions of Windows to talk to W9X. For W10 systems I set set HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa LmCompatibilityLevel to 1, Enable SMB 1.0 and finally reboot.

I have even managed to get this to work for a WFW 3.11 target systems, but in general I needed to do the transfers from the W10 system.

Attachments

• Enable SMB 1.0.png
    Filename
    Enable SMB 1.0.png
    File size
    14.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 11 of 18, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here you go. This is with the older version as for some reason I wasn't able to download the latest. If you want me to do the same with the latest then it will have to wait until later this week. I gotta go and get some sleep now.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_NETVISTA.txt
    File size
    228.82 KiB
    Downloads
    27 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 12 of 18, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
StopNot wrote on 2022-03-28, 21:00:

Here you go. This is with the older version as for some reason I wasn't able to download the latest.

Thank you. Most things worked as I hoped, but the disk SMART was not reported. Did you spot a popup panel that said Disk Drive ATA SMART Setup Done, Reboot Windows to Enable SMARTVSD ? If so I suspect next time the system is booted when SIV is run there will be SMART.

I just checked and the download of SIV32L V5.64 Beta-01 worked for me.

Reply 13 of 18, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2022-03-28, 21:22:

I just checked and the download of SIV32L V5.64 Beta-01 worked for me.

I might be able to try the latest version today but I won't promise anything. I was in a hurry and might have missed the smart thing. I'm running my win98 from a sd card and I wonder if that has any effect? Or should it work anyway?

Reply 14 of 18, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
StopNot wrote on 2022-03-29, 06:25:

I was in a hurry and might have missed the smart thing. I'm running my win98 from a sd card and I wonder if that has any effect? Or should it work anyway?

It being an SD card should not matter. Next time you try SIV if the disk is not reported then from a command window do SIV32L -DBGSDM > SIV_DBGOUT.log | MORE and also post SIV_DBGOUT.log so I can try and see why.

Reply 15 of 18, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2022-03-29, 07:19:
StopNot wrote on 2022-03-29, 06:25:

I was in a hurry and might have missed the smart thing. I'm running my win98 from a sd card and I wonder if that has any effect? Or should it work anyway?

It being an SD card should not matter. Next time you try SIV if the disk is not reported then from a command window do SIV32L -DBGSDM > SIV_DBGOUT.log | MORE and also post SIV_DBGOUT.log so I can try and see why.

Ok. I tried but log file seems to be empty.

Reply 16 of 18, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
StopNot wrote on 2022-03-30, 19:28:

Thank you and I wonder why not, try just doing SIV32L -DBGSDM and see if there is a SIV_DBGOUT.log with contents.

I just tried this on one of my systems and got as attached.

I just released SIV 5.64 Beta-02 which should better report the Intel 82810E chipset so please update to it before you next try the test

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_DBGOUT.log
    File size
    1.17 KiB
    Downloads
    25 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 17 of 18, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2022-03-30, 20:14:
Thank you and I wonder why not, try just doing SIV32L -DBGSDM and see if there is a SIV_DBGOUT.log with contents. […]
Show full quote
StopNot wrote on 2022-03-30, 19:28:

Thank you and I wonder why not, try just doing SIV32L -DBGSDM and see if there is a SIV_DBGOUT.log with contents.

I just tried this on one of my systems and got as attached.

I just released SIV 5.64 Beta-02 which should better report the Intel 82810E chipset so please update to it before you next try the test

Here you go. I used the latest beta and it does seem to output a log file.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_DBGOUT.log
    File size
    855 Bytes
    Downloads
    26 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 18, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2022-03-29, 07:19:

Next time you try SIV if the disk is not reported then from a command window do SIV32L -DBGSDM and also post SIV_DBGOUT.log so I can try and see why.

StopNot wrote on 2022-03-31, 20:27:

Here you go.

Thank you, looking at the log then SIV should have reported the disk drive information, please may I have a new Menu->File->Save Local file so I can check?