VOGONS

First post, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all, I'm currently working on a slot 1 build and am trying to figure out a decent cooling solution. The SECC2 PIII processor I bought came with a Coolermaster heatsink and fan, although the fan has failed. I like the idea of using a huge passive heatsink, so I scooped up two different ones. To my disappointment, neither of them appear to fit in the retention bracket on my Asus P2B-F:

IMG_4331.jpeg
Filename
IMG_4331.jpeg
File size
540.09 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_4329.jpeg
Filename
IMG_4329.jpeg
File size
413.52 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

My suspicion is that these heatsinks were from a proprietary board/system.

This leaves me with the options of either finding a passive heatsink that is compatible with my motherboard's retention bracket or attaching a new fan to the Coolermaster heatsink:

IMG_4332.jpeg
Filename
IMG_4332.jpeg
File size
313.09 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I'm considering getting a 40 or 50mm Noctua fan to attach to it, but that might be tricky due to the fact that all of their fans use standard case fan screws. I still like the idea of finding a nice, big, passive heatsink but need to know what to look for to ensure it will fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Reply 1 of 17, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont think I have ever seen one like in the top picture but the other 2 are quite common and have fit in any of my slot 1 boards retention arms. The ones on your Asus P2B-F (judging from pics on web) look like 2 sets I have but the middle heatsink should work.

Might be best if someone that has the same board chimes in.

Reply 2 of 17, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up a box of new aftermarket P2/P3 coolers with dual fans a couple years ago so I am set for life.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 4 of 17, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I clumsily broke one of the plastic clips for the second heatsink pictured in my post. It also seemed like those fly-out metal tabs that start towards the middle of the heatsink were too wide to fit into the retention bracket, and I didn't want to force things.

stef80 wrote on 2022-04-19, 20:48:

First one (Foxconn) uses SECC1 retention bracket. Have 2 of those, one on P2B (non F). Can you replace the bracket?

Unfortunately, I do not have a SECC1 retention bracket. I think I'd prefer to find a SECC2 compatible heatsink instead of replacing the bracket.

It looks like I could pick up one of this style cheaply:

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
172.22 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Does this seem like it would fit in a SECC2 bracket?

Reply 5 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrzmaster wrote on 2022-04-19, 19:58:
Hey all, I'm currently working on a slot 1 build and am trying to figure out a decent cooling solution. The SECC2 PIII processor […]
Show full quote

Hey all, I'm currently working on a slot 1 build and am trying to figure out a decent cooling solution. The SECC2 PIII processor I bought came with a Coolermaster heatsink and fan, although the fan has failed. I like the idea of using a huge passive heatsink, so I scooped up two different ones. To my disappointment, neither of them appear to fit in the retention bracket on my Asus P2B-F:

IMG_4331.jpeg

IMG_4329.jpeg

My suspicion is that these heatsinks were from a proprietary board/system.

This leaves me with the options of either finding a passive heatsink that is compatible with my motherboard's retention bracket or attaching a new fan to the Coolermaster heatsink:

IMG_4332.jpeg

I'm considering getting a 40 or 50mm Noctua fan to attach to it, but that might be tricky due to the fact that all of their fans use standard case fan screws. I still like the idea of finding a nice, big, passive heatsink but need to know what to look for to ensure it will fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

The motherboard retention brackets for Slot 1 can be changed.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 17, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i don't think there is any truly passive heatsinks for slot 1. OEMs like dell compaq ect back then would put on very large heatsinks but they would put there fan in the back of the case and use a plastic shroud that would direct the air over the cpu and out the back.

i would just take the current heatsink u got put a nice noctua or nosieblocker fan on it.

Reply 7 of 17, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Went the cheaper route with regular F8 Arctic 😁. Fits nice on Foxconn heatsink.

20220319_120039.jpg
Filename
20220319_120039.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20220319_114546.jpg
Filename
20220319_114546.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license

Got heatsinks with Compaq branded P2s.

Reply 8 of 17, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaron158 wrote on 2022-04-19, 21:25:

i don't think there is any truly passive heatsinks for slot 1. OEMs like dell compaq ect back then would put on very large heatsinks but they would put there fan in the back of the case and use a plastic shroud that would direct the air over the cpu and out the back.

I believe the ATX standard actually suggested that the PSU fan should do (or help) the CPU cooling.
Which I believe is one of the reasons the CPU is positioned where it is on ATX boards.

Reply 9 of 17, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a slot system. You're supposed to deal with the heatsink at hand and cool that with a 40 mm fan with 7,000 RPM or else, you're trying to play GOD and need to be burnt.

The really huge heatsinks without a fan were most likely all included with OEM systems and supposed to work exclusively with that very setup and one of two ways:
-There's a 80mm+ fan right behind the heatsink on the case shell, blowing right at or sucking right off that heatsink, so bascially a 80 mm fan on the slot heatsink.
-There's a weird funnel or channel of a plastic box around that headsink, channeling the air around it directly through the PSU and out of the case. In conjunction with a temp controlled PSU cooling, that will allow for a rather low noise overall system, beating all those non-OEM generic builds that will have to cool every component self-sufficient and gratuitous to avoid all kinds of RMA hazards.

Proprietary mechanical arrangements like fan mounts or funnels are a liability for any component manufacturer, but a virtue for any OEM: The system is not supposed to be scalable in any way, or expandable or easy to upgrade.

Long story short, with retro, make up your mind:

- Elegant and authentic: Whats wrong wit a 7000 RPM micro turbine? Not like we have any workplace regulation against that? Yet?
- Silent and effective: Things like mounting screws don't even qualify as an actual problem. You want a modern 120 mm fan to blow in the right direction. Somehow get it to do so. Hot glue, zip ties, weird cantilever constructions, Siemens air hooks: All fair in love and war.

I like jumpers.

Reply 10 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-20, 23:23:
The really huge heatsinks without a fan were most likely all included with OEM systems and supposed to work exclusively with tha […]
Show full quote

The really huge heatsinks without a fan were most likely all included with OEM systems and supposed to work exclusively with that very setup and one of two ways:
-There's a 80mm+ fan right behind the heatsink on the case shell, blowing right at or sucking right off that heatsink, so bascially a 80 mm fan on the slot heatsink.
-There's a weird funnel or channel of a plastic box around that headsink, channeling the air around it directly through the PSU and out of the case. In conjunction with a temp controlled PSU cooling, that will allow for a rather low noise overall system, beating all those non-OEM generic builds that will have to cool every component self-sufficient and gratuitous to avoid all kinds of RMA hazards.

Proprietary mechanical arrangements like fan mounts or funnels are a liability for any component manufacturer, but a virtue for any OEM: The system is not supposed to be scalable in any way, or expandable or easy to upgrade.

Correct. The really huge heatsinks seemed to be always OEMs. Usually passive (or 'passive' or however one might want to call it. The physical CPU heatsink itself is not active anyway) with a fan duct channeling the air through the PSU or through the back exhaust case fan.
Often I found it hard to remove these heatsinks from the CPUs without breaking anything. Seemed to me like there were meant to never be disassembled. Shame really, I really like at least some of the huge heatsink designs.

It's a slot system. You're supposed to deal with the heatsink at hand and cool that with a 40 mm fan with 7,000 RPM or else, you […]
Show full quote

It's a slot system. You're supposed to deal with the heatsink at hand and cool that with a 40 mm fan with 7,000 RPM or else, you're trying to play GOD and need to be burnt.

Long story short, with retro, make up your mind:

- Elegant and authentic: Whats wrong wit a 7000 RPM micro turbine? Not like we have any workplace regulation against that? Yet?
- Silent and effective: Things like mounting screws don't even qualify as an actual problem. You want a modern 120 mm fan to blow in the right direction. Somehow get it to do so. Hot glue, zip ties, weird cantilever constructions, Siemens air hooks: All fair in love and war.

I'm not sure what you're trying to convey here, but at first glance it seems like it is almost some sort of rant.

What I did was to replace the standard HSF of my Slot 1 with one with 2 fans and then replace both these fans with more silent ones. It worked perfectly fine this way, or as you'd put it, it was elegant, authentic, silent and effective 😎. And simple.
It's not all black or white, there are middle roads to be found.
Yes, some creativity is often solicited and can be very effective 😜
And yes, sometimes it does look ugly. 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seemed to work well enough on the AP550 with dual 1GHz alu 'passive' blocks and only a 90mm fan for company (no duct & no direct PSU fan air draw)

Compaq AP550 Wkstn Cooling.jpg
Filename
File size
688.08 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12 of 17, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-21, 10:53:

I'm not sure what you're trying to convey here, but at first glance it seems like it is almost some sort of rant.

Pretty much the same as you wrote: Some are actually hard to disassemble without destroying them. That's basically a rare case of actual, mileage-based "planned obsolescence" in a PC system, as fans simply do not last forever. And it's not even made by Apple!

OK, yes, from a pure practical viewpoint, I do not care much for slot systems.

I was mainly trying to explain to the OP that it's normal to get creative with those things and the mounting of a replacement fan should not put them off.
But you're right - the double fan arrangement with replacement fans might be the one solution that's at least optically authentic and quiet, since low noise + low noise does not add up to a higher noise level, like that of a faster fan. Good idea, if you can find one.

I like jumpers.

Reply 13 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-21, 12:04:
Pretty much the same as you wrote: Some are actually hard to disassemble without destroying them. That's basically a rare case o […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-21, 10:53:

Pretty much the same as you wrote: Some are actually hard to disassemble without destroying them. That's basically a rare case of actual, mileage-based "planned obsolescence" in a PC system, as fans simply do not last forever. And it's not even made by Apple!

OK, yes, from a pure practical viewpoint, I do not care much for slot systems.

I was mainly trying to explain to the OP that it's normal to get creative with those things and the mounting of a replacement fan should not put them off.
But you're right - the double fan arrangement with replacement fans might be the one solution that's at least optically authentic and quiet, since low noise + low noise does not add up to a higher noise level, like that of a faster fan. Good idea, if you can find one.

Well, another optically authentic and quiet solution could be to use a slotket and add an AthlonXP HSF. Should be even quieter and originally slotkets were also a thing so it's still authentic.
2 low noise fans do add up to a higher noise level, but it's still quieter than the 2 fans that got replaced.

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-04-21, 12:01:

Seemed to work well enough on the AP550 with dual 1GHz alu 'passive' blocks and only a 90mm fan for company (no duct & no direct PSU fan air draw)

What kind of CPU cooler is that? 😮

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-21, 14:57:

Its the standard passive cooler (pictured) that Compaq shipped with the 1GHz processor models (the 866MHz & below versions used slightly smaller ones - less fins)

AP550 1GHz Passive Cooler.jpg
Filename
File size
726.44 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 16 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-04-22, 02:28:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-04-21, 14:57:

Its the standard passive cooler (pictured) that Compaq shipped with the 1GHz processor models (the 866MHz & below versions used slightly smaller ones - less fins)

Those look awesome!
I have one such heatsink but iirc it's the smaller one. I'd say these are as good as they get xD

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 17, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: thanks everyone for the suggestions and examples! I have a SECC2 heatsink now and I'm going to try to jerry rig a 80mm Noctua fan onto it, and I may have another option for a more proper heatsink/fan (third-party dual fan) on the way as well.