VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not that there is really a pressing need, other than perfectionism.

What’s the best psu one could hope to have on a old socket 7 setup?

-Modular would be nice,

-Period correct is of no concern to me

-fanless would be nice

Lets face it, we aren’t dealing with high power requirements here. But stable voltages would be nice, especially 5v.

-Presence of -5v would be handy,

-20 pin preferred as to not have a random connector hanging off. But not a deal breaker so long as the 4 pin part can be disconnected from the main connector block

I used to rock pc power and cooling psus back in the day and they were renowned back in
The p4 days for their stability but they didn’t many of them fare well with age. And many today are now non operational. (Did anyone ever figure out why?)

Anyway, what’s the best overkill feature packed most stable voltage psu for a socket 7/SS7?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 3, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The absolute best would be one that gives the most benefits with the least amount of drawbacks 😜

Another way to give an answer to your seemingly mostly hypothetical question is a brand new produced PSU with all the specified voltages with fantastic efficiency and the best of the best security against power mishaps like shorts and with totally awesome cooling. And modular of course. And with remotely controlled LED fan so you could create teh most perfect lighting conditions to work inside your case even with the power cord disconnected. And at least 1k W so you can call it the "I have the power!!!" PC or something 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 3, by heckyeah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

RM750X (2017)? Fairly common right now second hand, I'd imagine. It's got 150w for 5v and 3.3v, it's fan only kicks in at 40% load (still pretty much silent), has rock solid voltages. I suggest this mostly because I had one and it was great. I only switched because I went SFX.

No -5v but that's a tall ask for anything good. P4 era PSUs were a shitshow because of the voltage shift from 5v to 12v, capacitor plague and a ton of shady retailers.

Reply 3 of 3, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

silverstone NJ700

700W 80+ Titanium totally fanless. modular.

no -5v nothing modern will have that u can always get Voltage Blaster if u need -5v

again nothing new will have 20 pin connector. on this one it looks like the +4 it at least can be separated and hidden some place.

seasonic also has PRIME Fanless TX 700 W it has a much longer warranty then the silverstone. but the downsides to it is they include no floppy power connector so ud have to buy an adapter for that if u have a floppy drive silverstone gives u 1 at least. also the 24 pin cable is sleeved so ud have the 4 pin pigtail dangling unless u take off the sleeving.