VOGONS

Upgrading cache on Super 7 motherboards

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disabling L3 is always slower. In newer games older games synthetic benchmarks you name it. Especially if you have an ALi chipset with 1Mb cache. The performance gain is clear 😀

Reply 21 of 23, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skalabala wrote on 2022-05-09, 20:39:

Disabling L3 is always slower. In newer games older games synthetic benchmarks you name it. Especially if you have an ALi chipset with 1Mb cache. The performance gain is clear 😀

Every benchmark I've tried has shown that the motherboard cache on my Asus TXP4 lowers memory bandwidth when combined with a K6-3+ CPU (regardless of whether the memory is within the cacheable limit or not). Every benchmark I've tried with my two MVP3 Super 7 motherboards has shown that leaving the motherboard's cache enabled when combined with a K6+ CPU increases performance, though it falls off sharply if you exceed the cacheable memory limitation.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 22 of 23, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes the TPX4 has slow cache vs the K6+ If your motherboard has 5ns or 4ns cache chips then you can adjust timings to be faster.
I actually want to test L3 performance on win XP, I have seen that XP has superior memory bandwidth when testing with Sisoft Sandra.

Reply 23 of 23, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skalabala wrote on 2022-05-09, 20:39:

I can confirm results both ways. It’s try and find out it seems. Though if ss7 it always seems to be faster to leave enabled.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)