VOGONS

Missing I/O address 220

Topic actions

First post, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I did something really boneheaded today and shorted a running hard drive without realizing it. The drive got super hot and doesn't work anymore which is alright because it was already failing anyway. I had the sound card out of the system when this happened. When I put it back in, the system no longer sees it. I tried it in another system and it seems to be fine there. I tried other ISA slots but the system suddenly can't seem to access IO address 220. Other addresses are working fine, other ISA cards are working fine. Any idea what could cause behavior like this?

Reply 1 of 5, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way, I've definitely considered the possibility that this was a coincidence or two unrelated problems BUT I still don't know what would cause the computer to just suddenly not see address 220 other than a resource conflict maybe.

Reply 2 of 5, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just had an idea... Switched xtide card to io 220 and it works fine. So now I'm really confused

Reply 3 of 5, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok solved it. I had commented it out in config.sys while troubleshooting something else so the driver wasn't actually being loaded. It's been one of those days.

Reply 4 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThenZero wrote on 2022-05-21, 03:03:

Ok solved it. I had commented it out in config.sys while troubleshooting something else so the driver wasn't actually being loaded. It's been one of those days.

No worries, we've all been there .

Glad it works and that nothing of value was lost .

Reply 5 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Btw, port 220h is also used by Sound Blaster cards by default..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//