IMG_20200504_154621.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200504_154621.jpg
File size
509.73 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I aim to replace the whole row. I'll be able to read values off the good two once they're out, but obviously not the other two.

I see that they all seem to be marked 10U on the mobo, and I've read a few suggestions that 16V 10uF caps are a common appearance here. Does this sound correct?

Reply 1 of 8, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They're usually 10uF/16V, but these values are not critical (just don't go any lower with the voltage). Pay attention to polarity when installing them, especially those on the negative rails.

Reply 2 of 8, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
quicknick wrote on 2022-06-21, 22:03:

They're usually 10uF/16V, but these values are not critical (just don't go any lower with the voltage). Pay attention to polarity when installing them, especially those on the negative rails.

Good stuff, cheers 😀

Reply 3 of 8, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, how you doin'?
Dude, I'm blown.
----

Yes, 16V 10µF is correct.
Tantalums exploding is a rite of passage I guess 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4 of 8, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suggest going with 25V rated caps instead. Usually the ones that pop are 16V rated caps located on the +/-12V lines, and given that tantalums tend to take voltage spikes quite badly I think that is one of the main reasons for the explosions. With 25V there is more of a buffer for that failure mode.

Reply 5 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree with all the above and yes my Asus ISA-386C does have 10uF Tantalums. Actually was thinking of changing to regular Electrolytics when I change them out. Those bloat and leak but never explode 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 8, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess you could make the argument that an exploding tantalum is a good indication that you have a problem, as opposed to a sneaky slow leak 😁 But either way it's probably a decade or so before you have to worry. Still on the fence about which way I'll go.

Reply 7 of 8, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tantalums do have their pros. They have very low inductivity, very low ESR, don´t dry out and are perfect to filter high frequencies. When tantalum
was still cheap everybody preferred them. Then the tantalum price-shock happened and everybody turned to regular electrolytics.

A few aspects have to be considered:
1. Tantalums are more likely to fail when they operate near their nominal voltage. To be on the safe side here just use 25V or 35V tantalums for the 12V rails and 16V for the 5V rails.
2. Tantalums don´t like "hard" switching. At startup older (AT) PSUs used to raise the output voltages more slowly. Today´s ATX PSUs start very quickly and output voltages rise to the nominal values in no time. This can stress tantalums. Decades ago tantalums had to be protected against that by adding a resistor, today they have become much more tolerant and stable.
A typical effect is that tantalums still run perfectly in an old system with the original PSU. When the PSU is replaced by a modern one several tantalums die when the system is powered up the first time.

On many older mainboards you see regular electrolytics but in some critical positions (like clock-gen) there are still tantalums.

Reply 8 of 8, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Job done. I went with electrolytics (2x 16V and 2x 25V) and these were the wrong approach for one reason: They don't quite fit in that little space! So they're kind of sticking out at different heights and angles, looking like the Big Book of British Smiles. I will not be providing a photo.

But I'm very happy to have my board back in service. Thanks for the advice everyone 👍