VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so i have this 586tx3 board that completely refuses to boot with any ATX PSU i can throw at it, of which at least some definitely work fine with other boards, and the board boots just fine with AT power as well. i've already tried the red jumper that supposedly forces ATX power on, to no avail, and i think i tried the BIOS option in the past as well (not sure why that one is even a thing). on a whim i even replaced the two 22uF caps near the soft power connection as well, didn't do anything either.

what could make the board not boot with ATX power?

Reply 1 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure the momentary contact switch you're using is good? Have you tried shorting the ATX power on contacts with a screwdriver?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 6, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well, good thought, that indeed caused it to start up. tested with the switch again to be sure, and nothing.

as per a comment on that video, i tested the 105 resistor connected to the soft power switch along with an adjacent 474, and some other ones in that area, which are all fine. there aren't any resistors at the ATX connector as far as i can tell. well, i'm almost a bit wary of working on this, because patching up a cut trace on a slot 1 board one time resulted in some magic smoke from the PSU...

Reply 5 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Worst case scenario, you could rig up a momentary contact switch to the contacts in the ATX power connector. I've no experience with repairing traces on motherboards, but I know there are other members of Vogons who do, so if you should be able to find a broken trace that's the cause of this issue make sure to add that to this post or start a new one seeking advice on the repair.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 6, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if it works with the at connector but u dont want to us and old at psu why not just use one of those at to atx adapters on the at connector. they don't cost to much and better then messing about and maybe breaking the board totally if u don't know how to fix the issue with atx connector. other then that send it off to someone who knows more about fixing that type of stuff.