VOGONS

First post, by Excelsior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I have a MSI K7T266 Pro2 motherboard which is behaving very strange: it will only boot if I do a clear CMOS operation before each start, otherwise I receive the standard no video detected on monitor with a black screen and nothing happens. This is very annoying and I tried differend remedies: replacing the PSU, replacing the video card, replacing the memory, replacing the battery. The only 2 things left are the CPU (Duron 1300 Mhz) and flashing the BIOS. The present version of the BIOS is the the very first version for this board - 3.0 and I saw that the latest version on MSI website is the 3.7 version.
Now my question is which is the best/more secure way to flash the new version of the BIOS without destroying the motherboard/BIOS chip in a failed updating operation?
On MSI website they recommend the M-Flash utility but this board is too old for this utility and hence I have to use other ways. Is it necessary to use a floppy disk or it can be done if I copy the BIOS utility on the HDD? Can you recommend the safest way to do the flashing of the BIOS?
The computer has the floppy disk, optical drive, USB and network/internet connection as means of entering/extracting data, so even a USB stick could be used for the job.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Reply 1 of 2, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the bios .exe file from the MSI websites, there is a guide "How to flash" as well as a flash program, follow the instructions and carefully check what variant of the board you have and choose the correct BIOS. MSI is making a terrible mess of it.
You can have bios as well as flasher on floppy disk or hard disk, but I recommend always flash from DOS. There are also applications for Windows flash and autoupdate utility from manufacturers (MSI Live Update, etc.), but I don't have much confidence to do that.

Reply 2 of 2, by timsdf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same board a while back in use with Sempron 2600+ and Athlon XP 2400+. Nice Universal AGP board. Actually had a similar booting problem but with latest BIOS. Board would give beep codes for no gpu signal or no ram installed and reseting cmos jumper would boot it sometimes.

I solved it by properly cleaning AGP and RAM connections with CRC56 and toothbrush. Also I replaced CMOS battery at the same time.