VOGONS

First post, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know what clock battery goes into socker U28 of this machine? I just recently acquired a working 1000RL off eBay from a local seller, and it has a socket for the clock chip (but curiously no holder for a coin cell battery). I'm not sure what an easily-obtainable part for today would be, especially as I'm not sure if I'd need it for saving BIOS settings.

Unrelated, anyone also have files to 3D print the drive cage and expansion cover for an HX? I'm going to be giving it to a friend up north, but has nothing for either.

Reply 1 of 2, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not familiar with that machine but your first priority would be to figure out whether that board is supposed to take a rechargeable or non-rechargeable battery. If it's rechargeable you may need to modify the board for it to be safe to use a non-rechargeable battery. You'll also need to see what voltage is needed. For example, I have some 286 and 386 boards where everything works with 4.5V (3xAA battery holder) but a CR2032 lithium only holds the time and settings and the clock freezes while it's off. On the other hand, I have a Pentium board that originally came with a barrel battery but a CR2032 works fine on it.

Reply 2 of 2, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a pic of the board. It looks possibly to take a CR2032, based on the circular blank next to the socket.

Attachments