VOGONS

IBM PS/2 Help Needed

Topic actions

First post, by Soap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Posted a few days but replies, genuinely baffled on how to proceed with this system as PS/2' is al new to me.

Anyway it is a model 55 SX please see pics on link.

I've stripped it and cleaned it as it was minging, also pulled the DALLAS and replaced with one of the NECROWARE ones, reassembled and it will not take the reference disc so that I can set the CMOS.

I get errors:

System not set (Run Setup) CMOS Checksum

Clock not updating

Is the 163 something do with the battery I fitted, is it installed wrong, faulty?

The floppy drive appears to be functioning correctly please see video, it is spinning and the heads are clamping, I also cleaned the heads but the system appears to not be reading the floppy therefore I cannot set the time.

Link for Album, think video at end
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JiG68VPZLHfoUvAw5

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, this is all new to me as never touched a PS/2 before.

Cheers

Reply 1 of 3, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you need to have the correct reference disk to configure the BIOS first.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 2 of 3, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it should still boot. try a dos disk to see if it gets that far.

if it doesn't the issue is the floppy. if it does the reference disk may not have been created properly. Windows does crappy things to floppy disks. I have a win98 machine that behaves properly with the reference disks.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 3, by Soap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2022-09-01, 17:48:

it should still boot. try a dos disk to see if it gets that far.

if it doesn't the issue is the floppy. if it does the reference disk may not have been created properly. Windows does crappy things to floppy disks. I have a win98 machine that behaves properly with the reference disks.

Okay cool well it's Sunday so I got the day to arse around with it. I'll recreate the disks on the Win95 computer.

Many thanks