s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
139.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

My question is whether I need any more test leads and if yes what kinds of test leads?

Reply 1 of 12, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Generally the standard pointy kind will serve in about 90% of the cases I find.

Clips are useful for times when you want to physically latch onto a wire or lead (usually for components that aren't in circuit).

You should be fine with what is there. Don't the feel the need to buy anything further until you definitely know you need it.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 12, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-21, 14:47:

Generally the standard pointy kind will serve in about 90% of the cases I find.

Clips are useful for times when you want to physically latch onto a wire or lead (usually for components that aren't in circuit).

You should be fine with what is there. Don't the feel the need to buy anything further until you definitely know you need it.

Thank you for a quick answer.

And what about those hook probes?

SP-Hook-05.jpg
Filename
SP-Hook-05.jpg
File size
25.58 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Are they necessary?

Reply 3 of 12, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-09-21, 14:57:
Thank you for a quick answer. […]
Show full quote

SP-Hook-05.jpg

Are they necessary?

It depends on what you're testing, but in most cases, no, you won't need them.

I have a set of hook probes and I think I've used them maybe once or twice.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 4 of 12, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-21, 15:10:
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-09-21, 14:57:
Thank you for a quick answer. […]
Show full quote

SP-Hook-05.jpg

Are they necessary?

It depends on what you're testing, but in most cases, no, you won't need them.

I have a set of hook probes and I think I've used them maybe once or twice.

I'm going to test only a regular computers' / peripheral devices' hardware like PCBs, PSUs etc.

And thanks a lot for your explanations!

Reply 5 of 12, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-09-21, 15:19:

I'm going to test only a regular computers' / peripheral devices' hardware like PCBs, PSUs etc.

In that case then standard pointy needles will be fine.

And thanks a lot for your explanations!

Anytime! 😀

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 6 of 12, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use my hook probes as much as normal probes. probably use gator clips + spades the least.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 8 of 12, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote on 2022-09-21, 17:46:

My problem has mostly been that my pointy probes are not sharp enough for all uses.

DIY probes made from sewing pins, a lab cord with banana plugs cut in half, and some heat shrink tubing, solved that problem for me 😀

Almost never using anything else than those or the regular pointy kind of probes when working with computers. Hooks and other latching variants can be very useful for other purposes though.

Reply 9 of 12, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My problem has mostly been that my pointy probes are not sharp enough for all uses.

Try Fluke leads. The ones that came with my Fluke meter are sharp enough to draw blood if I'm not careful.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 10 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-22, 15:12:

Try Fluke leads. The ones that came with my Fluke meter are sharp enough to draw blood if I'm not careful.

I know that but in the picture of what he was going to buy they dont seem to be that sharp and that is why I mentioned that.

Reply 11 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The hook probe is very good for using a sewing needle on the + for some fine work on small via's and ic pins. credit to kaputnik and Shponglefan for mentioning sewing needles first !
It may seem awkward with needle 90 degrees to the probe handle but I find it very easy to do....
Also have used an open all metal safety pin to poke into ground on AT and ATX psu board connectors a few times, made it easy to clamp or rest the meter lead on (the eye on those can be handy 🤣) ... 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 12, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remembered this thread, got a little bit inspired, and improved my old needle probes.

Simply soldered needles to the ends of old test leads, shortened a couple of those cheap plastic 0.7mm mechanical pencils you get for free at conferences etc, and put it all together.

They work really well. Also nice to be able to adjust how much of the needles you want exposed 😀

Edit: might be an idea to add that I'd never use them for anything but low voltage applications. Cleaned the pencils thoroughly inside, but might still be conductive graphite residue left. Better safe than sorry 😀

Attachments

• DSC_7086.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_7086.JPG
    File size
    94.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception