VOGONS

First post, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently plotting out an Athlon 750 Linux build, and period correctness isn't top priority so I was wanting to use a SATA card with some SSDs, but I'm not certain if it's something I could do or not. I'd like to run two period Linux distros, one geared towards professionals (maybe Red Hat 7 or SuSE 7.3?) and the other geared towards home users (either Slackware 8.1 or Mandrake 8.2), but wasn't sure if any of the SATA cards would be compatible with them. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that they look like SCSI cards to the OS, but I'm not sure if that applies here or what.
If it helps, I had also been wanting to load up antiX on a second SSD just for the fun of it.
Thanks.

Reply 1 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Challenging...

SATA is a lot newer than those distros. RH7 has a 2.2 kernel. AFAIK the first SATA modules cropped up in 2.6.19 (sata_promise module for things like the SATA150TX2plus, SATA300TX2plus). It might theoretically be possible to backport those modules to older kernels, but the whole scsi subsystem changed fundamentally between 2.4 and 2.6 (let alone 2.2), so you'd probably have to backport a lot more.

2 more practical options IMHO:
- run a later Linux that supports SATA (eg RHEL5 from 2007), should still work fine on an Athlon 750
- use a SATA-PATA adapter to run your SSD off the native - supported in old Linux - PATA controller

Reply 2 of 3, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could also try to run a more recent kernel on an older distro by building one yourself. If you really, really want to dive into that.

**Installing Gentoo in da club**

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 3 of 3, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is an interesting idea, I'll go with the SATA to IDE adapter to start with and try to get a newer kernel going from there. I may also go with Fedora Core 1 just because I use Fedora on all my more recent systems* so it'd be neat to have it on an old system as well, but that still only gets me up to Linux 2.4.

*: Not my PowerBook G4 because Fedora ppc32 isn't a thing anymore; it has LMDE Bookworm. And not my i5-2400 because it's been stored away since before I switched to Fedora; right now it has Windows Vista SP2 and Ubuntu MATE 18.04.