VOGONS

MS-DOS 3.3 cursor issue

Topic actions

First post, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
I'm having a problem with dos cursor on 80286 CPU and Hercules graphics card. After booting there is blinking cursor like it should be, but after I type any command and hit enter the blinking cursor dissapears. I can type on keyboard but it is not visable on screen. Any idea what's going on? Tested with another keyboard and the same behaviour.

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm could be a video card BIOS issue with DOS 3.3. What happens if you type CLS and hit enter, does the cusror come back ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for saying the obvious, but are you sure it's not a monitor adjustment thing and the cursor is not just outside the visible area?

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is strange. CGA and Hercules use the MC6845, which has support for a hardware cursor.
The cursor should keep blinking, normally ?! 🤔

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I'm stupid. Crt geometry was set wrong so that cursor was displaying but it wasn't visable on a monitor