VOGONS

Riva TNT2 XP Driver

Topic actions

First post, by GetSchwifty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I'm looking for the "best" Windows XP x86 driver for the TNT2 Pro. I know there are already some posts in this regard, but some of them are very outdated or very contradictory. For example I've read a lot of good things about Detonator 2.08, but it doesn't exist for Windows XP, does it?
I would be very grateful for any support.

Best regards
GS

Reply 1 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win2k drivers will work.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 7, by GetSchwifty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you perhaps have an idea where I could download the Detonator 2.08 for Win2k?

Reply 3 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I looked around and found a few references to 2.08 but no Win2k file to download, just Win9x and NT4. I do have a Win2k 1.89 and then 3.52, nothing in between....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 7, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GetSchwifty wrote on 2022-10-02, 08:04:
Hello, I'm looking for the "best" Windows XP x86 driver for the TNT2 Pro. I know there are already some posts in this regard, […]
Show full quote

Hello,
I'm looking for the "best" Windows XP x86 driver for the TNT2 Pro. I know there are already some posts in this regard, but some of them are very outdated or very contradictory. For example I've read a lot of good things about Detonator 2.08, but it doesn't exist for Windows XP, does it?
I would be very grateful for any support.

Best regards
GS

Just so you know, Detonator 2.xx/3.xx series were the best if you were using Windows 95/98... For Windows 2000/XP the best driver would have been something later, maybe 5.32 ~ 7.08? I don't recall, exactly. Anyway, since NT was a completely different animal the version numbers did not necessarily align in performance.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 5 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I posted my old Win2k nVidia archive here after scrounging thru two computers and filling a void from some mirror sites:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 955&menustate=0
Hope it helps....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 7, by GetSchwifty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, first of all, many thanks to you! I have now tested several drivers and can say that the newer drivers lead to a higher score in 3DMark2000, but then I have graphic errors, for example with Unreal Gold. The older drivers seem to run much more stable and don't produce any graphic errors, but lead to around 500 points less in the benchmark. In addition, some games no longer start at all (Warzone2100). In view of the confusing amount of drivers, does anyone have experience or a test which driver is the best compromise between stability and performance?

Reply 7 of 7, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GetSchwifty wrote on 2022-10-03, 08:59:

Hello everyone, first of all, many thanks to you! I have now tested several drivers and can say that the newer drivers lead to a higher score in 3DMark2000, but then I have graphic errors, for example with Unreal Gold. The older drivers seem to run much more stable and don't produce any graphic errors, but lead to around 500 points less in the benchmark. In addition, some games no longer start at all (Warzone2100). In view of the confusing amount of drivers, does anyone have experience or a test which driver is the best compromise between stability and performance?

Maybe try to align the driver with the version of DirectX that you want to use and the games you are targeting?

If a game refuses to start with an older driver, there is a good chance it needs some features introduced in a newer version of DirectX, unsupported by that old driver.

I think Detonator 3.68 was DirectX 7-compatible. Microsoft announced DirectX 8.0 in November 9, 2000 - so probably Detonator 3 12.90 is likely to be pretty close and compatible with games up to that point.

You didn't name a cut-off point for when you started seeing problems with newer drivers so it's hard to give good advice. The latest I've used recently is 21.83 with a GeForce 3 and that seems to work really well with any games that card can still feasibly run.

This is all purely anecdotal, of course.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.