VOGONS

New Slot A Board

Topic actions

First post, by Earl764

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New poster and all that.

Came across a slot-A board/cpu combo and picked it up. Shipping was a little rough packaging wise, but the board seems to work.

A lot of slot-a boards went out from the capacitor plague of that era and there seem to be so few compared to slot-1.

This board was made for compaq, and is a flavor of the FIC SD11. I remember when this board came out.

It's running with an Athlon 500. The seller even included a daughter board that controls power and shows activity LED's.

I need to pick up a nice case for it.

Reply 1 of 6, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could you post hi res pics? This is interesting.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 2 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saved a non OEM version from a dumpster
Slot A FIC SD11 Dumpter find

It doesn't have the performance and stability of its Slot 1/BX cousin? nemesis?
But I've always like the cartridge style CPU's and glad have both Intel's and AMD's take on the idea. Currently mine has an AGP Banchee and SBLive! and quite happily playing Need for Speed 4 on it earlier this year.

Redhill quite liked it back in the day as well. Lucky you got the I/O panel as that's one thing he complains about even on the generic board.
https://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-00.php

One thing to note is it seems like it has no internal speaker header?
Working on a 98 SE build, I have no PC speaker, nor anywhere to hook it up.

Reply 3 of 6, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Earl764 wrote on 2022-10-05, 01:49:
New poster and all that. […]
Show full quote

New poster and all that.

Came across a slot-A board/cpu combo and picked it up. Shipping was a little rough packaging wise, but the board seems to work.

A lot of slot-a boards went out from the capacitor plague of that era and there seem to be so few compared to slot-1.

This board was made for compaq, and is a flavor of the FIC SD11. I remember when this board came out.

It's running with an Athlon 500. The seller even included a daughter board that controls power and shows activity LED's.

I need to pick up a nice case for it.

Have similar board in IBM Aptiva tower, with Athlon 550.
No electrolytic caps, all tantals. And both NB and SB are AMD. This one is either AMD(NB)+VIA(SB) or all VIA.

Reply 4 of 6, by Earl764

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2022-10-05, 09:38:

Could you post hi res pics? This is interesting.

I'll see about getting those added. Not 100% certain how with this forum software but will look.

Reply 5 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should be AMD 750 and VIA 686A. It's pretty stable in my experience. I'm sure the AGP slot won't get along with some AGP cards though.

Reply 6 of 6, by Earl764

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Took me some time to get back to this. For some reason the forum software is compressing the images down when I add them . I've uploaded some photos here: http://omnicide.org/vogons/

Just picked up a new case for it. I thought it was just an old case being resold, but it was actually an unused beige case from '99. Complete with the bag of standoffs, etc. you'd receive in a new case.

Photos of that are in there, too. I'm not trusting the old psu. I just received a 500 watt bronze seasonic which should be plenty for this.