VOGONS

First post, by helios98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I am running windows 98 on a Optiplex gx260. The chipset is a 845g motherboard. The problem that i am experiencing is that when I am reading a cd or if there is heavy processing my mouse and keyboard freezes. Then after it's done loading i can move the mouse or use the keyboard. I was wondering what is causing this?. I have had issues with the integrated graphics like when i exit Doom Dos, the screen becomes garbled and the screen moves when I move the mouse. Its fixed when I put in a agp card. It's just odd issues I have dealt with. I have had other mother boards with the 865g chips that have had very odd issues and then the board would die. I am just a little paranoid from my experiences with some other retro PCs 😆

Reply 1 of 5, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is DMA enabled for the CD-ROM and HDD? You can follow Phil's video if you need a walkthrough:

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/windows-98-dma-mode.html

As for the garbled graphics, what driver are you running? What version of DirectX? Are you able to boot into DOS mode and get the same results?

Reply 2 of 5, by helios98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-10-14, 15:12:

Is DMA enabled for the CD-ROM and HDD? You can follow Phil's video if you need a walkthrough:

As for the garbled graphics, what driver are you running? What version of DirectX? Are you able to boot into DOS mode and get the same results?

When I go to enable DMA on the CD-Drive when I reboot it the dma checkbox is still uncheck. The Hard Drive doesn't have a DMA check box. I would have to check my driver version for the integrated graphics

Reply 3 of 5, by helios98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-10-14, 15:12:

I am running direct X 8.1 and it doesn't do it in dos mode. I normally don't run games in dos mode because i been relying on my onboard sound max for dos sound emulation in windows.

Reply 5 of 5, by helios98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2022-10-14, 15:41:

Did you install Intel chipset drivers (aka INF utility)?

I did install the chipset drivers with the dell chipset setup utility then used a newer one because it wasn't detecting everything. For the newer utility I did have issues with it asking for a file to complete setup for the ultra ATA controller something like that. And the cd rom didn't show up and i couldn't find the file it was asking for so I skipped it then in windows it said the device is working. And went to the driver files and it was appearing like it should then I reran the setup utility again. EDIT: to make things clear I could view the CD -rom drive after rebooting