VOGONS

First post, by Iarsin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I got the mentioned Sony VAIO notebook with a faulty HDD, that suddenly gave up booting Windows 2000 that I beforehand upgraded to SP4 and patched until some software like acrobat 6.0 and a Telekom Sinus 154 Card PCMCIA worked well, at least with some additional software for WPA2 WLAN.

In several startups it had to undergo chkdsk checks, which went fine.

But then it gave a scratchy and clacking noise and no longer found the ntldr or ntos kernel (I don't remember exactly.).

I then tried to find a i586 or i486 Linux Live CD or distribution, that contains gddrescue, to save the HDD onto a pensive or CF card ( got a 4GB CF card and a pixomedia PCMCIA Adapter for that working). I also got a 500gb 2.5" Sara HDD with a USB adapter for such task.

I didn't manage to find a propriate live CD, and the USB port isn't bootable, or the bios didn't support to boot from USB.

I tried to use plop Linux 22.2, a recent and decent Linux distro with i486 support which can start directly from CD, but it then stuck at samba. If I exit, it throws me to BusyBox and suggests to enter exit to continue the boot up init scripts .

It then shows the login print, but user: root and pass:ploplnux didn't work at all

So I gave 4.3.0 ploplnux from archive.irg waybackmachine a try, but that didn't contain gddrescue. I used the small dist, because it has to fit on a CD-ROM. DVD isn't available.

I then found ubcd 4.3.8 and gave it a try, because 4.3.9 was 800MB big.

I unfortunately couldn't load pmagic, which ships with gddrescue I think, because it only supports system to ram and therefore needs at least 513MB, but I only have 96MB RAM.

So I then tried to use a HDD tool, I forgot it's name, but it tries to remap bad sectors. I'll deliver a screenshot. Unfortunately it doesn't stop to find scratchy bad blocks on the HDD surface.

Could it be, that it eats up sane blocks an turn it by head action (scratchy and clacking sound) bad?

I didn't understand, why the HDD was sane and now such a big Region should be scratchy.

Attachments

• IMG_20221015_032857~2.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20221015_032857~2.jpg
    File size
    1.81 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Meanwhile the red bar of bad blocks reached almost the right border of that line and the Bad block counter is at almost 4000. It's estimated time shows 152h, which was already at 172h. So the good sector sections between bad blocks are getting larger ...
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 1, by Iarsin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In short: creates the software more bad blocks due to the head action? Gddrescue avoids accesses, by jumping in a first run over the bad areas, and after saved the most of the disk trying to read the bad sectors on 40* retries or so.

2nd question, a live CD with gddrescue for i486. Or a solution for ploplinux 22.2 i486 to login, or overcome the stucking boot process (may it disturbing the login and destroyed the default password??)

Attachments

• IMG_20221015_182846_382.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20221015_182846_382.jpg
    File size
    640.18 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Don't know, what the x means. Maybe the bad blocks are exceeding the ability to remap them?
    File license
    Public domain