VOGONS

First post, by MrFiveThumbs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, and thank you - I've been reading this forum a long time. Now I finally had to register to ask for your help. I got a Matrox Millennium II which shows a very yellow image in my retro rig.

Upon closer inspection, it seems to have taken a hit, and lost one SMD component:

MH1txBx.jpg
1xDlNgC.jpg
AvwonmI.jpg
ZtegnG1.jpg

When looking at images of the card by the seller at eBay, as well as other images found of this model online, there is something there. Question is, what is the missing component? I'd very much want to get a couple of those, and attempt to repair this thing, but I have no idea what that is and where to even start to find out, except post this here.

Reply 1 of 7, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It´s an inductor (as the other 5, with pads for parallel capacitors or resistors that are not populated).
You can replace it with a piece of wire for testing / to see if it´s the reason for the missing colour (blue).

To find the exact value of the inductor you need to measure one corresponding inductor of one of the other two channels (marked yellow).

AvwonmI1.jpg
Filename
AvwonmI1.jpg
File size
144.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

But maybe someone here can tell you the value right away.

Reply 2 of 7, by MrFiveThumbs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2022-10-15, 10:44:

You can replace it with a piece of wire for testing / to see if it´s the reason for the missing colour (blue)

Thank you! I wonder though, would replacing it with a wire have potential to cause damage? If at worst it has bad image quality, then I'll try the wire for sure.

I also have no equipment to measure these. If no one has the specs, I'll get a bunch of different ones and eyeball it.

Reply 3 of 7, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Signal quality of the blue channel will decrease a little without the inductor. But you won´t short or damage anything. You can short the pads with a small screwdriver for a second while the system is running to see if it fixes the missing blue issue. (Don´t short anything else with the screwdriver...)

Reply 4 of 7, by MrFiveThumbs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! I think I'll solder a jumper wire. It's an old Compaq Deskpro with riser card for expansion slots, meaning this PCI card is face-down sideways in there. So no poking in there while it's running.

Reply 5 of 7, by MrFiveThumbs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Holy s*** it worked. I shorted the pads and colors are normal. Thank you!

Now would anyone have a guess as to which particular one I should put there, or if I should just go for one of these sets and pick one that looks close enough:

xawK5vR.jpg