VOGONS

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lately, I've received a number of faulty HP t620s. After combining parts, I've made a (very?) unbalanced HP t620. It is the dual core model, upgraded to 16Gb RAM... but sadly the it has a small 16Gb M2 SSD (and it doesn't seem to be a fast one). Also, I've upgraded it to the latest BIOS available.

So... it has two 8Gb RAM modules installed, but at POST it says that they're configured as single channel and the BIOS has no options to enable dual channel. Can it be enabled?

Also, I've completely wiped the SSD (it had a corporate OS) and I don't know what OS should I put in. My options:
- Using a Windows 7 x64. It would be a great option because I could use most games and applications (that run fine on that 1.6Ghz CPU) but that 16Gb SSD is very small and using USB as storage would be painful.
- Using Windows embedded. That thin client has licence for it, but I'm not sure how compatible is with standard apps. Although it would be smaller than Windows 7, the storage is still a concern.
- Using a standard Linux. Everything I usually use fit in that 16Gb disk, and I could use USB as data storage... but gaming from USB using wine would be still painful (OTOH, emulators would run fine).
- Trying that HP thing used on thin clients (thinpro?). My wife uses citrix to work from home, but I don't know if that OS needs a propietary server to connect as a client or can be configured like a standard citrix client (I've got a Fujitsu thin client that can't be configured directly to connect to any citrix without connecting to some Fujitsu software first).

Any thoughts?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 3, by mscdex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A Linux distro with a lightweight GUI would probably work pretty well. Otherwise depending on how comfortable you are with Linux, you could even use buildroot to create your own optimized Linux installation by cutting out things you don't need and tailoring things to your specific hardware.

Looking at the specs for the t620 it seems to have USB 3.0 ports, which if the hardware can indeed keep up, should provide decent bandwidth to use for data/app storage (although the internal M.2 SATA would be roughly the same speed -- ~600MB/s).

As long as you have 3D/2D acceleration in Linux, gaming with Wine in general shouldn't be too bad. Supposedly the graphics chip in the t620 is about on par performance-wise with a GeForce 210, which would be fine for retro games as well as some newer (but probably not modern) games.

Reply 2 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While looking for a video where Phil used a thin client as a MIDI emulator https://youtu.be/zRyPjvbDkvg
I also found he has reviewed a T620! Havent watched the vidieo in full but he seems to think it makes a good XP retro PC
https://youtu.be/g3VvH-FRTZc

I've a few older thin clients that I intend to use on retro server OS's just to mess around with, so thats another idea.
Also in my experience Win XP/Win7 Embedded aren't much different to the full version of the OS, admittedly i'm not using them for gaming though.

Reply 3 of 3, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kodi might also be an option. I assume that you could stream 1080p from this. I really like the midi idea above too. When you Google "what to do with an old computer", you tend to get the same answers, but emulating an MT-32 is something that never comes up.