VOGONS

First post, by Autumn Able

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought a PS/2 bracket mounted connector (BRK-PS2-1x4 from Pan Pacific) for my Baby AT motherboard, but no idea how the end connector is wired in order to rewire it to match up with my mobo's PS/2 header. I need to know what color wires on the header connector end are used for (mouse clock, mouse data, power, ground), but I lack the proper tools to do so. The PS/2 port's pinholes are too small for a paperclip, and I lack any other real wires thin enough to fit in there and stay in there long enough to use a multimeter on. If anyone has one, and this one specifically (not the Startech as the color wires are completely different). The colors are red, black, green, and brown.

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Generally speaking. The red should be +5v, the black should be ground. The green should be data and the brown clock.
That does not guarentee they are that way. Without a ohm-meter would be hard to tell exactly as some china made products are wrong and that does not include which ps/2 pins in the socket they attach too.
BTW: Startech generally follows proper code, but not always...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by Autumn Able

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was able to rig some some thin wire to one end of my multimeter that was basically just a bread tie with the paper shell stripped away. So for future reference, here is the color code to the Pan Pacific BRK-PS2-1X4 PS/2 mouse header bracket. Useful for if you need to rewire it to suit the pinout on your motherboard.

Red - #1 (Mouse Data)
NC
Black - #3 (Ground)
Green - #4 (+5v)
Brown - #5 (Mouse Clock)