VOGONS

First post, by Shiver_169

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys.

It's pleasure to be here, recently return to the world of old computers thanks to a good friend gave me one Vectra VE6 Series 8 with Intel 440BX Chipset, Pentium II 333 Mhz and 64 MB on RAM. This PC had a HDD and the CD Rom Drive broken but hey the most of there is here. Well I get a good IDE CD Rom Drive, 512 MB on Ram, Pentium III SL35E and a SD to IDE Adapter, proceeded to install all components and try install Windows 98 SE with this and I had some problems. First I forgot the limitation of HDD size on this motherboard and try install on 32 GB SD was a problem, reading here and there solve this whith one old 2 GB SD Card, but when try the Installation ir was vert slow. From now on try the Installation many times but 1 hour after cancell the Installation with a 5% of progress in all cases. I was desperate and try everything and in the las moment it occurred to me change the processor for the original Pentium II. And yeeiii the Installation it's completed on 20 min. But now I don't know if the processor Pentium 3 500hz SL35E it's bad or have there are incompatibility with the motherboard and this processor. I buy this processor based on the retroweb site comments based on the model of my Motherboard. And one more thing I want to add is that in the initial BIOS boot screen the Pentium III processor appears as I (unknown) and the speed of this appears correct with 500 Mhz. I apologize for this long history but I try of give some context waiting help more with the solution.

Best Regards for all.

PD: Sorry for my English I'm from México.

Reply 1 of 12, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The motherboard may need a bios update to correctly support the Pentium III, do you have the model of the motherboard, its possible someone here might have the newest BIOS or know where you can get it from.

The fact it booted when you put it into the board is a good sign that it'll work with the right BIOS, the "Unknown" is also a sign its in need of a newer BIOS version.

Reply 2 of 12, by Shiver_169

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-11-02, 05:11:

The motherboard may need a bios update to correctly support the Pentium III, do you have the model of the motherboard, its possible someone here might have the newest BIOS or know where you can get it from.

The fact it booted when you put it into the board is a good sign that it'll work with the right BIOS, the "Unknown" is also a sign its in need of a newer BIOS version.

Thanks for your response in theory the BIOS is The last for this Motherboard but if you know other information it's welcome. The model of this Motherboard it's FIC VB-609.

Reply 3 of 12, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shiver_169 wrote on 2022-11-02, 05:43:

Thanks for your response in theory the BIOS is The last for this Motherboard but if you know other information it's welcome. The model of this Motherboard it's FIC VB-609.

Apparently it already supports Pentium III Katmai CPUs, hmm what version of the BIOS do you have ?

Reply 4 of 12, by Shiver_169

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-11-02, 05:53:

Apparently it already supports Pentium III Katmai CPUs, hmm what version of the BIOS do you have ?

Yes, I read the same info.

The BIOS version is HT.1.0.8.

Reply 5 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shiver_169 wrote on 2022-11-02, 06:07:

Think this might be a limitation of the HP OEM bios - can't see any mention of cpu microcode support for anything beyond Deschutes (Pentium II) in the bios notes, and yes HT.01.08 is the latest version HP released.

Reply 6 of 12, by Shiver_169

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-11-03, 02:14:
Shiver_169 wrote on 2022-11-02, 06:07:

Think this might be a limitation of the HP OEM bios - can't see any mention of cpu microcode support for anything beyond Deschutes (Pentium II) in the bios notes, and yes HT.01.08 is the latest version HP released.

Ok this is a sad new. Will exist any form to flash the BIOS with not HP OEM version? comment this because in theory the FIC VB-609 motherboard it's compatible with the processor.

Edit: Searching more information find this pague with BIOS for the Intel Chipset but I don't know if working here the site. http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/download/bios/index.htm

Reply 7 of 12, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are tools for updating microcode live in linux https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/devel … crocode-os.html , Windows 10 can do it while booting. But Im not aware of nay DOS microcode updaters.

same problem 20 years ago https://www.wimsbios.com/forum/hard-drive-isn … -ve8-t1880.html

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 12, by Shiver_169

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-11-03, 05:43:

There are tools for updating microcode live in linux https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/devel … crocode-os.html , Windows 10 can do it while booting. But Im not aware of nay DOS microcode updaters.

same problem 20 years ago https://www.wimsbios.com/forum/hard-drive-isn … -ve8-t1880.html

Alright this is a dead end. I investigate in other forums and even updating the microcode nothing warranty the processor function.

But in this case I want the best processor with support for this Motherboard any recommendations?

Reply 9 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shiver_169 wrote on 2022-11-03, 11:59:
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-11-03, 05:43:

Alright this is a dead end. I investigate in other forums and even updating the microcode nothing warranty the processor function.

But in this case I want the best processor with support for this Motherboard any recommendations?

Here's a similar thread to the one linked by @rasz_pl - https://www.wimsbios.com/forum/cpu-isn-recogn … code-t8059.html

The FIC bioses for the board kind of improves the cpu problem but break other things, so eventually they ended up modding the microcode on the HP bios for PIII support, though sadly they didn't detail the exact tools / process used.

In terms of best processor support, based on the HP bios notes it looks as if the last meaningful updates to the microcode were...

HT.1.0.6. - added PII Deschutes b1 stepping support
HT.1.0.7. - added Celeron Mendocino a0 stepping support

...so probably a PII 450MHz

Reply 10 of 12, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can get around the BIOS HDD size limit by using a PCI IDE adapter (ATA 66/100).

The fastest CPU your board supports is Mendocino Celeron at 550Mhz (366 overclocked to 100Mhz bus). That should be faster than PII 450 which is rare and expensive. You would need a couple of Mendocinos and slotket with jumpers for voltage. That could be the backup plan if you don't get PIII 500 working.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 11 of 12, by Shiver_169

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlexZ wrote on 2022-11-03, 17:29:

You can get around the BIOS HDD size limit by using a PCI IDE adapter (ATA 66/100).

The fastest CPU your board supports is Mendocino Celeron at 550Mhz (366 overclocked to 100Mhz bus). That should be faster than PII 450 which is rare and expensive. You would need a couple of Mendocinos and slotket with jumpers for voltage. That could be the backup plan if you don't get PIII 500 working.

Thanks for your response and help, here in México this equipment it's trash and only a limited number of people use this for fun or collect on the marketplace Facebook discover a jewels of equipments. With this context purchase on 20 USD a PII 450 Mhz (tomorrow arrives) and a PCI ATA/133and with this this PC it's a rocket launcher for Retro Games with My ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB.

Thanks so much guys.

Reply 12 of 12, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shiver_169 wrote on 2022-11-04, 06:09:

it's a rocket launcher for Retro Games with My ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB.

For DOS games an Nvidia graphics card is preferred for much better compatibility than ATI.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS