VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I'd like to ask about old memory card like a early <1GB MicroSD cards that seems to work eventually in a modern basic phone but wondering if their specifications changed during their evolution and it's safe for both the old card and the phone itself to use it in any modern expansion slot?
I tried into a feature phone and it always worked but I wonder if something changed in their specs, power requirement, voltages, etc...

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 2, by Hirsch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wikipedia says: Host devices that comply with newer versions of the specification provide backward compatibility and accept older SD cards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#Compatibility_2

The Wikipedia link also provides a compatibility table for newer cards in older hosts.

Reply 2 of 2, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's, well, a standard SDSC (even if it happens to be a "TransFlash" = older than the standardization of microSD) and will work in anything that accepst SDSC (or MMC), if it doesn't suspect any and all adapters used 😀

In fact...

386SX wrote on 2022-11-06, 12:25:

<1GB

that makes it a first generation SD which should be a total gold standard for compatibility (2 GB SDSC cards weren't always standard and a few things, like the 2 GameCube titles with official support for SD, will want to repartition them to 1 GB, presumably some other things won't like them at all)