VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Murugan wrote on 2021-06-06, 17:04:
FAMICOMASTER wrote on 2021-06-06, 06:55:

What a beauty, that full tower! I would love to have a case like that. Where did you find it, and where can I get one?
I love that translucent black bar across the machine. Makes it look like a monolith.

It's mine. My regular supplier 😀 found it in a recycling park I think.

Hello Murugan, I sent you a PM but I'm not familiar with the system here at Vogons, my message was filed in the outbox but not as "sent" so I don't know if you even saw it.

I have the same tower version as you said you did, that was my motivation to create this thread as I was very curious about the variations. I installed a DX-2 66 on it to replace the original DX-50 and forgot to ask you at the time: could you please when you get the chance take a picture of the pinout of your frequency display so I can too change mine so it says 33/66mhz too? I'd be very grateful

Reply 21 of 23, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My god, I am right now in a search for the horizontal (all black) one. It was my first computer, a 386DX 40MHz... Later I had also the big tower and mini tower... They were kind of popular in that era (1990-1995) since a small company was importing them from Taiwan and selling them. My uncle used to work for them so it was normal to see those cases on a daily basis. But we were young, dreaming about new computers... tossing the old ones in the bin... And now there is no more of them. Would love to have the one from my childhood! Found one, in australia... it's a long way to the balkans 😁

But seeing that many people still have one, I guess they are still around. So hope is not lost!

Reply 23 of 23, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Martin85 wrote on 2022-11-11, 19:55:

My god, I am right now in a search for the horizontal (all black) one. It was my first computer, a 386DX 40MHz... Later I had also the big tower and mini tower... They were kind of popular in that era (1990-1995) since a small company was importing them from Taiwan and selling them. My uncle used to work for them so it was normal to see those cases on a daily basis. But we were young, dreaming about new computers... tossing the old ones in the bin... And now there is no more of them. Would love to have the one from my childhood! Found one, in australia... it's a long way to the balkans 😁

But seeing that many people still have one, I guess they are still around. So hope is not lost!

Love to hear about stories like that, thanks for the input. From what I've heard in my country these variations were recycled by the dozens at a time in the late 90's, people couldn't even give them away. I'm very thankful for the large tower as I never thought I would even come across one. If possible I would love to have another revision one day, the more compact version shown in RetroSpector78's video. But I can't complain in the slightest. I'm not a collector and I don't have a lot of hardware, although for that I would happily find the space for it.

Funny as the more I asked about them the more I realised that beyond people who remember them and others who don't, I also found some people that clearly were "gatekeeping" info about them and where to search for them, which was sad to see, as someone who was too young to experience these cases in their time. I know retro hardware won't last forever but did we honestly arrive at this state of things?