VOGONS

First post, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was fixing my Olivetti M20 and I needed to replace memory address maping PROM ( fused 6381-2), and I made an adapter to use more modern UVEPROM ( 27C1001),
it is working, but:
only when there is light shining at that eprom window that is used for erasing it.
It can be any type of light ( green LED, white LED, red LED, bue LED and even my phone flashlight)
Any idea what's going on?

Reply 1 of 15, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was your chip a new or used one? Experienced weird behavior when reusing salvaged UVPROMs a couple of times, saw that a few bits seemingly randomly flipped back and forth after programming by doing a few dumps and comparing them by content. No idea if the bit flipping had to do with light conditions in my case, it's an interesting theory though.

I believe it was caused by underexposure when erasing them the first time. The solution was re-erasing them, giving them longer time under the UV lamp, and reprogramming them anyways. Might be worth a try for you too 😀

Reply 2 of 15, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a used one, well I guess I'll try to reprogram it, but the case is that 55ns eproms are hard to get here, so I don't want to make it worse, by damaging my only 55ns capable eprom

Reply 4 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

how did you manage to use the eprom when the dead chip had four enable lines ?

Maybe the light on the chip charges some diode junctions just enough so they get a little boost when switching.

other solution, add a resistor and an led to the eprom window and use it like that.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 15, by Bernkastel7734

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, M20 uses 3 out of 4 CS. But these 2 more are for using expansion cards I do not own ( example 8086 processor card). I guess I need to dissasembly that led bulb and desolder one of that SMD LED and indeed put it above that eprom

Reply 7 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are all the unused pins either grounded or pulled high, dependent on their logic?

Do not ask Why !

Reply 10 of 15, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2022-11-12, 21:13:

Indeed one pin wasn't grounded, and now it works fine 🤣

well, if we ever meet, you owe me a beer ! 😁

Do not ask Why !

Reply 12 of 15, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2022-11-13, 03:49:

Sure thing. I just wonder what had light to do with it?

Not claiming to know the inner workings of EPROMs, but you can probably assume that the photoelectric effect was involved somehow 😀

Reply 14 of 15, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bernkastel7734 wrote on 2022-11-13, 03:49:

Sure thing. I just wonder what had light to do with it?

(Bipolar) transistors can not only be turned on by base current, but also by photons. That's why transistors are shipped in non-transparent cases. If a transistor is optimized for photons driving it, and shipped in a transparent case, we call it a "phototransistor", but it basically still is the same PNP or NPN silicon construction as on a regular transistor. So any old NPN or PNP transistor is influenced by light!

In your case, you had an open input. This is a bad thing to have on CMOS chips (the C in 29C1001 is for "CMOS"), because those input randomly read as 0 or 1 or flicker between 0 and 1, maybe influenced by what's going on inside the chip. With enough light irradiation, you likely turned on transistor-like structures (or just the ESD clamping diodes) in a way to provide enough leakage current so the input got pulled down to ground as required.