VOGONS

First post, by czar_roland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy all,

I have been reading this forum for the past several months and it made me want to start playing all of those PC games from the 90s that I missed out on due not being able to afford it.

I have worked on a lot of Pentium 3 class machines, but it was in the education space.

I recently came across this Dell Dimension XPS T700r. It has been a very long time since I have messed with hardware of this era, and even when I was it was mostly OEM with official software. I am trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong, or if there is something wrong with the Samsung DVD-ROM SD-612-(S].

I tried booting Hiren's Boot Disk as well as the SeaTools for DOS boot disc to no avail. I checked the IDE configuration and it listed the DVD-ROM as the Secondary IDE Master. I then changed the boot order so that "First Boot Device" listed [ATAPI CD-ROM Driv].

I am running PhenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0. The only things connected to the motherboard are, a Voodoo 3 2000 AGP, 128MB of RAM, and the Samsung DVD-ROM SD-612-(S].

Any help would be appreciated. This is my first time posting and was a bit nervous about posting this in the wrong place.

Thanks,

Reply 1 of 1, by czar_roland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update. I do not have any spare IDE components, but I do have a SATA to IDE converter that I was using inside of an original XBOX. I plugged that up with a spare SATA CD drive that I had, and boom, boots to CD fine. Mystery solved, drive that came with the machine does not work. I will look into buying an alternative. Can't wait to post something a bit more fun.

Thanks,