VOGONS

First post, by Fujitsubo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi all first post here.

over the last couple of years i have built a couple of my old computers from my childhood. i am in the middle of trying to build my computer from around the year 2000,
an amd thunderbird rig. i found the same case from back then and i had to paint it and fix some rust but in that process i miss placed the plastic stand off's the motherboard mount to.

The only thing i could find online was what looked like would fit ebay and it was a pack of 30 for 8 dollars and it ended up costing me 90 dollars to ship it to Australia.....

they dont fit the clips are to small... so now i have no idea what im going to do. does any one have any suggestions ? i really really really want to use this case but i feel like im now up shits creek because i lost those clips,

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Fujitsubo wrote on 2022-11-20, 00:20:

for 8 dollars and it ended up costing me 90 dollars to ship it to Australia.....

how does that work exactly? did you FEDEX overnight them?

Fujitsubo wrote on 2022-11-20, 00:20:

they dont fit the clips are to small... so now i have no idea what im going to do. does any one have any suggestions ? i really really really want to use this case but i feel like im now up shits creek because i lost those clips,

I never saw plastic ones, but I have some metal square ones (smaller than holes on picture). You could 3D print them. Find nearest hackerspace and talk to people.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I have two sizes of those metal square ones (about 5/16" and about 1/2"at the base where the case "grabbers" are), appears it uses the larger size or something in-between.
If the case back panel is removeable could use brass (or aluminum) standoffs with thin sheet metal washers and nuts....
another option would be the nylon round mounts with the button bottom, push in and use a flat iron to melt the button so they don't pull out.
Need to figure out the proper height first !

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Filename
    Image1.jpg
    File size
    31.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh yeah round plastic ones, I have plenty of those but somehow blanked when I saw square holes 😀
they should work fine because they clip to the board and latch to the backplate, you could push something on the back to latch them in the square holes

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-11-20, 03:07:

oh yeah round plastic ones, I have plenty of those but somehow blanked when I saw square holes 😀
they should work fine because they clip to the board and latch to the backplate, you could push something on the back to latch them in the square holes

How about cutting a very thin metal washer so it in a U shape ? or maybe just use tin snips and cut something out of a soup or tuna can lid ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 7, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would patch the holes somehow. Then drill holes and thread stand offs. You could mig weld some sheet metal on the back of the tray.

Not sure what else, maybe jb weld in combination with some plexy glass on the back of the tray and fill the holes with jb weld fill the holes and use a razor to Spackle it in there and then drill holes for standoffs.

Reply 6 of 7, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Before getting a 3d printer, I've used an M3 screw, a couple of body washers (large washer with small hole) and a few nuts as a quickfix when unable to find any fitting clip-in standoffs. Arranged it like this:

<screw head><body washer><case><body washer><nut>---<nut><mobo><nut>--

Maybe not the neatest solution, but works well enough 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by Fujitsubo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you all for the replys. i went hunting on ebay once again this time finding a seller who had the only case the same as mine for sale on ebay and he had some spares he sold me so consider this one solved

thank you all so much for your suggestions alot of them very good idea's.