VOGONS

First post, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys,

Really simple question. I recently got a couple of thin clients for DOS and Windows 98 gaming. For storage, I'm using an IDE cable attached to a SD card adapter. Obviously, thin clients don't leave much room for cable management and I had to leave an IDE cable on top of the heat sink in one of them. I'm just wondering if this could be a hazard and if I should look at putting insulation between them? I'm using dirt cheap cables from AliExpress, so I don't know if they are built as well as the IDE cables back in the the DOS and Windows 98 era.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 2, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Insulation shouldn't be needed (if it is, the CPU is overheating). I would recommend trying to route the cable away from the heatsink though, for airflow purposes.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 2, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-11-26, 23:19:

Insulation shouldn't be needed (if it is, the CPU is overheating). I would recommend trying to route the cable away from the heatsink though, for airflow purposes.

I think that would be pretty difficult, as the IDE slot is directly above the heat sink. It's located in the top left of the following image, right below the battery:

inside_800.jpg