VOGONS

First post, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone have one of these Powerleap Slotkets, are they supposed to report the CPU Temperature. I have a Celeron 1Ghz chip in it right now, everything works fine it seems. But I can't see the CPU temperature, figure that's a very important metric that should be passed through I would think!

Reply 1 of 4, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KuroHouou wrote on 2022-12-14, 23:50:

Anyone have one of these Powerleap Slotkets, are they supposed to report the CPU Temperature. I have a Celeron 1Ghz chip in it right now, everything works fine it seems. But I can't see the CPU temperature, figure that's a very important metric that should be passed through I would think!

There is no way to interface any such information.
PC Temperature sensors of that time were Motherboard specific extras. Requiring an additional chip on the board, probe near the slot-1 and a BIOS feature to display the reading.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 4, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah ok, so no way to know. Wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Was hoping their own software might show it as they mention they have a way to throttle based on temps but they don’t seem to share that with the OS 🙁

Reply 3 of 4, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See example image of a Chaintech 6BTM i440BX Pentium II/III motherboard that has this feature.

CPU Temperature sensor probe is the protruding wire at the bottom right. I think the "Winbond" chip on the top left is interfacing with the probe. The BIOS with the 'MX' branding is next to it, and has code to interface with the Winbond chip's readings.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 4 of 4, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Slot1 has no provision for reading temps, there is only THERMTRIP pin signaling CPU going into emergency shutdown due to excessive heat. Socket 370 provisioned for thermal diode in the CPU available on pads AL31 AL29. It was up to motherboard manufacturers to provide some kind of hardware interface reading and interpreting this signal.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction