VOGONS

Prolinea 466 No display

Topic actions

First post, by stupidcomputer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to rebuild the first pc I ever owned a compaq prolinea 466. Unfortunately I've been unable to find an exact match as a whole pc so I got myself the case of a broken prolinea 575, a power supply from an unkown compaq model (that is supposed to be compatible, according to the seller) a motherboard/backplane, and a cpu separately. The power supply does turn on and some of the chips on the board get warm to touch, but nothing displays on screen. The monitor goes into sleep mode because of no signal. As far as I know the cpu is oriented correctly and it has 8mb of onboard ram so that should be enough to boot. There is no beep from what looks like a pc speaker on the motherboard, although there is also a plug for a speaker which I do not have. I do know that the bios setup program is not stored in a chip on the board but on a hard drive but as far as I know it's just to do setup and not required to just boot anything at all.

Does anyone have suggestions about what it could be or how I might be able to diagnose any problems? I can't find much out there on the internet about no display on this type of prolinea.

Reply 1 of 3, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No display and no beeps usually means some incompatibility between components, or more likely, malfunctioning hardware. If you can test with other compatible CPUs and RAM sticks it would help to diagnose the issue. If not, and you have more than 1 RAM stick, try booting with just one of them. I'm assuming you got a 486 motherboard, but if it's a Pentium one then you will definitely need to populate the SIMMs in matching pairs.

Another option would be to test with a stand-alone graphics card, instead of relying on the integrated graphics.

Reply 2 of 3, by stupidcomputer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some more information after looking into things; I've managed to get a POST diagnostic card into the system. There is no post code showing at all, just two dashes. The +12,-12,+5, +3.3 volts all show. Two other leds also don't light up but I don't know what they mean.

The other thing I noticed is that the power supply connectors has pins that don't have any wires connected to them. I can see traces on the board coming from the pins on the board that those missing pins would connect to.

At this point I can only guess that the power supply is incorrect. The one I got was supposed to be compatible with a power supply of the type Compaq 172765-001 or 172766-001. If someone has one of those, can they show me photos of the pins on the power supply, and also what voltage they supply or if they're some kind of power ready signal?

Reply 3 of 3, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Prolinea 5100e. Not sure how comparable it would be, but it's quite possible that it's not compatible with the PSU of a 486 based Prolinea. Tomorrow I can take a look at the PC and report back the PSU model number, and maybe take a few pictures.