VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve got an AHA-1542cf that’s delaying system startup on every boot at “Waiting for SCSI id #0”. After a solid minute or two it eventually moves on and boots the system. It wasn’t doing this until I reset the adapter settings to default in the ctrl+a menu. How do I resolve this? The only device I have connected is an NEC optical drive detected at id #3.

I know I could disable the bios but was wanting to test booting from CD-ROM.

Reply 1 of 12, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure about the AHA-1542CF as I don't have one, but on other Adaptec controllers you can enter the config utility (Ctrl+A) and select which IDs you want to include in the BIOS scan. By default all the IDs are set to "yes" so they will be scanned at boot, you can set all of them to "no" except for #3 (your CD-ROM drive) and #7 (usually this is the adapter itself).

Reply 4 of 12, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed, set it to zero

Scanning di0……….. nothing

Scanning id1………… nothing

Scanning id2……….. nothing

Scanning id3………… cd!

Scanning id4……. Nothing

Gives up, boots? Idk…

Vs

scanning id0….. cd

Rest disabled, booting!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 12, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bad cd? Dirty laser lens?

What mobo is this?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 12, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FYI, the scsi bios must support booting from cdrom, not the mainboard.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 12, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This post claims that it is possible to boot from CD-ROM if you update the BIOS to v2.11. Normally you can't access the optical drive in DOS without loading the ASPI CD driver, but looks like this BIOS versions does allow booting?

Reply 10 of 12, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-12-29, 18:44:

its booting from CD just fine right into boot menu, but there is already garbage on Windows 98 boot screen.

Yep I think you are right, although I’ve not been able to guess the correct menu options to get it to fully boot the CD. I wonder what’s causing the screen corruption and beeping?

This is on a Biostar 8433uud.

Reply 11 of 12, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got it, just had to press the #2 at the right time and made it to this screen. Very cool.

Attachments