VOGONS

First post, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may have noticed older 3.5 floppy drives have a nice heavy cast aluminum frame, like this one for example: https://irontime-sales.com/wp-content/uploads … 3-6-600x492.jpg or https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/w2wAAOSw63liu5WV/s-l1600.jpg

Notice the solid, one piece frame everything is attached to.

Compare to something like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MMIAAOSwSPpjEQRD/s-l1600.jpg

Notice how the frame is made from sheet metal only.

Does anyone write off the sheet metal frame drives? This has to be a result of major cost cutting later in production.

Reply 1 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I consider normal 3.5" drives way too common to deserve any special attention. This way of manufacturing became the standard in the late years of floppy drives, but at the same time the mechanisms were more modern, lighter and minimal. Yes you can feel the general quality degradation as the floppy was becoming obsolete, but I never really faced any serious problems with them.

Reply 2 of 8, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The big plus of later floppy drives is that they almost exclusively went to direct drive motors == no more belts to replace!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 8, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2023-01-09, 13:36:

The big plus of later floppy drives is that they almost exclusively went to direct drive motors == no more belts to replace!

You have to go back a ways to see belt driven drives though. From my time perspective anyway. The only belt driven floppy drive I ever owned were Apple Disk II drives, but all the PC drives I've ever owned were direct drive. And almost all of them were of the cast frame type.

Maybe the original PC full height drives were belt driven, but I started using computers in the 286/386 era.

Reply 4 of 8, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Agree with Konc - while nice, the reason older drives are usually* better are different, like being made with at least nominally some care, or the Sony MP-F17W-87 having an actual switch for the drive number 😀

* Actually the made-in-2007 drive on my Optiplex 755, blatantly there just so that people could install XP in AHCI mode (the BIOS only supports one 1440k disk and actually lists USB to traditional floppy emulation first), has held much better than the 2000 original Panasonic drive of the HP Vectra VL400, which made me throw away over 8 disks not having anything else on which to test them...

Reply 5 of 8, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote on 2023-01-09, 13:22:

I consider normal 3.5" drives way too common to deserve any special attention. This way of manufacturing became the standard in the late years of floppy drives, but at the same time the mechanisms were more modern, lighter and minimal. Yes you can feel the general quality degradation as the floppy was becoming obsolete, but I never really faced any serious problems with them.

I agree in a way, I think 5.25 drives are more interesting. Even the front plate of 3.5 drive all have nearly the same appearance. But in my mind, a retro computer has to have a both that and 3.5 drive, and before buying one I've been looking if it's a cast frame.

Reply 7 of 8, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the3dfxdude wrote on 2023-01-09, 14:45:

At least most of the 3.5" drives have a dust flap, and are unlikely to have air sucked through them.

They still get plenty of dust in them! I wish computer fans would blow into the case, and could pull outside air through a filter. No dust then.

Reply 8 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I mostly pick a FDD by looks be it colour of the drive or activity LED.
With everything networked the drives get so little use (typically only during a fresh install) the drive's quality is much less important