VOGONS

First post, by KayvK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve heard from this forum that this can fry your board.
My board is an Acer V58XA if that helps.
The PSU was plugged into the wall, however I did not press the power button. I was also using an AT to ATX converter, which I also read may not even work with mine because of some volt difference.

Reply 1 of 8, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you didn't press the power button, there is no problem at all. Even if you did, decent power supplies will detect the short circuit and refuse to start. The problem is with dodgy power supplies without short circuit protection, those will cause a disaster in that case.

Reply 3 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've switched those plugs many a time, then turned on the power and wondered why the machine wasn't booting nor the fan of the psu was spinning.

plug'm in the correct way, switch on and no harm done.

Worst case scenario, you created a hole in spacetime through which the big crunch starts.
slightly worst and more realistic case, your psu gave up the ghost.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2023-01-08, 09:46:
I've switched those plugs many a time, then turned on the power and wondered why the machine wasn't booting nor the fan of the p […]
Show full quote

I've switched those plugs many a time, then turned on the power and wondered why the machine wasn't booting nor the fan of the psu was spinning.

Worst case scenario, you created a hole in spacetime through which the big crunch starts.

Using a PSU of that era and not a modern one would have a completely different outcome though

Reply 5 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote on 2023-01-08, 10:05:
weedeewee wrote on 2023-01-08, 09:46:
I've switched those plugs many a time, then turned on the power and wondered why the machine wasn't booting nor the fan of the p […]
Show full quote

Using a PSU of that era and not a modern one would have a completely different outcome though

considering i've done both and not had any broken parts yet, I'd say it depends on the lack of quality of the psu you're using.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 8, by KayvK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys, good to know I haven’t completely fried my board. Still at a bit of a roadblock though: my board’s power switch resides in two pins, but the adapter I ordered (pictured next to it) takes up more space than that. There’s a black wire that has the same end. Do these plug into something else?

P.S: The adapter i ordered https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075ZPWJBX?ref=ppx_ … op_mob_ap_share

Reply 8 of 8, by KayvK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you! I’ll order them.