VOGONS

First post, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know this is a vintage topic: ATI Rage 128 Pro - it's only half alive.

but here's the solution for this mystery problem (just encountered the same problem):

1) Make sure all chipset drivers (for your motherboard) are installed properly.

2) Go to device manager>display adapters and then remove the standard PCI graphics card (at least in my case it's a PCI Rage 128 Pro Ultra). Leave the onboard graphics driver the way it is (if you have any). Restart your pc.

3) Your pc will detect a new graphics card and suggests to install the standard PCI graphics card driver. Don't do this and instead select 'have a disk'. Select the drive where your ATI driver package is stored. Now browse in the driver package and search for a folder name that corresponds with your graphics card and operating system. In my case it was R1289x>Atidrive. In that folder you'll see a list of .INF files. Just select the first one and click on ok. Hereafter you'll get to see a list with all sorts of ATI graphics cards. Select the right model and install. Now what ever it says, just force it to install. Restart your pc. It will detect a new monitor. That's it and everything is installed. You should be able to see the ATI logo in the task bar in the right corner below (besides your clock). You can select this and mess around with all settings 😎

Reply 1 of 2, by H.W.Necromancer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote on 2018-04-29, 21:35:
I know this is a vintage topic: ATI Rage 128 Pro - it's only half alive. […]
Show full quote

I know this is a vintage topic: ATI Rage 128 Pro - it's only half alive.

but here's the solution for this mystery problem (just encountered the same problem):

1) Make sure all chipset drivers (for your motherboard) are installed properly.

2) Go to device manager>display adapters and then remove the standard PCI graphics card (at least in my case it's a PCI Rage 128 Pro Ultra). Leave the onboard graphics driver the way it is (if you have any). Restart your pc.

3) Your pc will detect a new graphics card and suggests to install the standard PCI graphics card driver. Don't do this and instead select 'have a disk'. Select the drive where your ATI driver package is stored. Now browse in the driver package and search for a folder name that corresponds with your graphics card and operating system. In my case it was R1289x>Atidrive. In that folder you'll see a list of .INF files. Just select the first one and click on ok. Hereafter you'll get to see a list with all sorts of ATI graphics cards. Select the right model and install. Now what ever it says, just force it to install. Restart your pc. It will detect a new monitor. That's it and everything is installed. You should be able to see the ATI logo in the task bar in the right corner below (besides your clock). You can select this and mess around with all settings 😎

Thank you man! Just hit the same problem with my AGP Rage 128 Pro Ultra in my Pentium II build. Don ´t know why the official installer is not working.
--

Reply 2 of 2, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suspect this issue occurs if you have an OEM version of the card, with a unique device ID that the generic driver can't match to any device listed in the Inf file. So you can either force install a driver for a similar card, or add the device ID for your card to the Inf file.

I have a Dell version of the Rage128 Pro with the same issue when installing Ati drivers. Back then it was often expected for OEM hardware users to install the OEM drivers.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718