VOGONS

NE2000 with a programmable MAC

Topic actions

First post, by tje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

New member, long time reader. Looking for any collective ideas/knowledge on whether there's a model or range of NE2000 compatibles that let you configure, or reconfigure the MAC address. The reason for this, is that there's an old distribution (RMNetLM - should anyone care) of an educational network based on OS/2 server side, with network booting Windows 3.1 clients. The server side I have covered and virtualised, but the proprietary boot services used are hard coded to only boot the vendor's mac address. The vendor's NICs are unobtainium (I've searched!) and NE2000 compatible, but are issued within their own mac range. My memory suggests that there was a range of pseudo plug-n-play ISA NE2000 compatible nics that were reconfigurable in this way, but I can't find any documentation or reference to them.

Any input appreciated!

Reply 1 of 25, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if i'm not mistaken most nics can have their macs changed by altering the data contained in the tiny 8pin i2c eeprom that's available on most nics.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 25, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2023-01-20, 12:33:

if i'm not mistaken most nics can have their macs changed by altering the data contained in the tiny 8pin i2c eeprom that's available on most nics.

That's true about modern NICs. Original NE2000 cards and early clones used a 16 x 8 parallel PROM (yeah, that's not a mistake for 16K x 8, but really 16 values of 8 bits each!) to contain the station address and the "magic" signature 57 57 in the last two bytes. Possibly it actually is a 32 x 8 PROM like the 74188 or 82S23. This ROM is called "SAPROM" (station address PROM), and can be replaced by custom PROM or PROM-emulators.

Reply 3 of 25, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

RTL8019 ?

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 6 of 25, by tje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2023-01-20, 18:25:

Would patching the MAC range check out of the software be an option?

It would, but its a binary blob of an OS2 executable... I assume it to be a modified copy of Microsoft's RPL server in Lanmanager, but I run out of talent in terms of doing anything of that nature.
In terms of testing, I've got the boot rom image successfully working with 86box, but 86box only lets you change the last octets of the mac, not the vendor part. When I asked on the discord about being able to change the vendor part it didn't seem to be something they were interested in facilitating.

Thanks for all the replies so far, lets me explore some more and see if I can make something work.

Reply 7 of 25, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

86box only lets you change the last octets of the mac, not the vendor part

The attached patch should do the trick, saving and letting you load entire MACs. Do note that there's no compatibility fallback for loading old "half-a-MAC" entries, so better use a fresh config.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This isn't very helpful maybe, but I vaguely remember that MAC addresses are still not being repeated/reused/reissued.

The general agreement is that MACs are all different, so that any possible risk of confusion on the internet is prevented.

This includes the earliest NICs ever produced.

Anyway, that's all that does comes to my mind.
Maybe that's why the MAC is tricky to change, also. 🤷‍♂️

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember back in the old days (P2 and Athlon) some motherboards you could change the built in NIC MAC if you needed, somewhere in my old archives have a few tools for that but not sure where.
It was for us at HP/c for swapping a board and making the MAC the same as the failed board (they always had a sticker to tell the MAC addy,,,), do not think it would work with PCI nics but never know...
Last time I used it was on a Athlon board... yeah been a long time..
But they do exist !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 25, by tje

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2023-01-21, 01:46:

86box only lets you change the last octets of the mac, not the vendor part

The attached patch should do the trick, saving and letting you load entire MACs. Do note that there's no compatibility fallback for loading old "half-a-MAC" entries, so better use a fresh config.

Oh wow, thats great thanks.
Now to work out how to build from source 😀 not done that for 86box before...

Reply 11 of 25, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-21, 01:51:
This isn't very helpful maybe, but I vaguely remember that MAC addresses are still not being repeated/reused/reissued. […]
Show full quote

This isn't very helpful maybe, but I vaguely remember that MAC addresses are still not being repeated/reused/reissued.

The general agreement is that MACs are all different, so that any possible risk of confusion on the internet is prevented.

This includes the earliest NICs ever produced.

Anyway, that's all that does comes to my mind.
Maybe that's why the MAC is tricky to change, also. 🤷‍♂️

Duplicate MACs due to software or user error have been a thing. Repeatedly.

An example I had fun with when working at the helpdesk of an internet provider: take two SiS 900 NICs (either onboard or - rarer - on a PCI card) in separate systems, install Windows XP and let the default drivers in WinXP take control of them. Connect in same LAN - or to the same ISP behind a modem acting as bridge - and let the fun begin 😉

In Windows it's generally possible to manually edit the MAC address in the advanced properties of the adapter (my Realtek 2.5GbE Family has it listed as "Network Address") and in Linux you just add the right flag to ifconfig ("hw ether" iirc).

In fact, this particular functionality is key to why MAC whitelisting in WiFi networks is pointless.

But that's all nice advanced operating systems with real networking stacks and abstraction layers. In DOS, you probably need to mess around with EPROMs.

Reply 12 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2023-01-22, 02:52:

That's bad. Isn't there a law that prohibites this? There should be, imho.
Going by logic, modification should be prosecuted civilly and criminally.
Faking a car's licensing plate isn't legal, either, after all.
At least not if the car drives on public streets, I mean.
If it's on private ground (LAN), it's another matter, of course. This won't harm anyone, after all. 😊

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 25, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2023-01-22, 09:32:
That's bad. Isn't there a law that prohibites this? There should be, imho. […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote on 2023-01-22, 02:52:

That's bad. Isn't there a law that prohibites this? There should be, imho.

At least not if the car drives on public streets, I mean.
If it's on private ground (LAN), it's another matter, of course. This won't harm anyone, after all. 😊

I'm not a laywer, but you should be aware that the MAC address only needs to be unique within a LAN. It's not visible outside that LAN, so we wouldn't get into any technical trouble if my computer uses the same MAC address as your computer, unless we meet up and join the same (possibly wireless) LAN. So in my oppinion, there needs to be no public prosecution, but the possible damage done to companies that got their LAN messed up by duplicate MACs might be interpreted as civil liability against the supplier or manufacturer.

Reply 14 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^Thanks for your explanation, makes sense to me. 🙂👍
I also was merely thinking out loud in my previous post.

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elszgensa wrote on 2023-01-22, 13:22:

Isn't there a law that prohibites this?

You bought from the same manufacturer, and then happened to guess the same random three-byte number as me. Straight to jail!

Yay! Tschakka! 😁

Edit: It's a hexa-nibble! ^^

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 25, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've heard a story about some company purchasing a lot of cheap NICs...
when they tried to get them running, it turned out they all have the same MAC 🤣

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 18 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok found the MAC ID tool, it was used on the ECS K7S5A that had SIS900 chip (V3.x) to change MAC addresses. It was in my K7S5A stuff.
So it might work for a PCI NIC with some SiS 900/7016 chip. The exe header says "SiS 900/7016 LAN Adapter EEPROM Utility v1.52"

Attachments

• Filename
    k7s5a_SIS_MAC_id.7z
    File size
    26.95 KiB
    Downloads
    34 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 19 of 25, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2023-01-22, 15:37:

I've heard a story about some company purchasing a lot of cheap NICs...
when they tried to get them running, it turned out they all have the same MAC 🤣

That's probably those SiS900. The drivers from the manufacturer site work fine, those in default XP install point to the wrong memory address where there is some random - and non-unique- code instead of the EPROM where the valid MAC was burnt.

It wasn't the only example, but it was particularly bad as a lot of low-end computers sold by the likes of Aldi (discount supermarket across Europe) shipped with this adapter and the faulty drivers in 2003 and 2004. There used to be a website with a list of known non-unique MAC addresses but I can't find it now.