VOGONS

First post, by vellu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heya!

I recently got myself Olivetti PCS 33. It's in good condition, only the hard drive is on its last legs.

First question:
I replaced the hard drive with a CF adapter and installed MS-DOS 6.22 from disks without problems.
Only oddity I found after, that in boot up it shows "Disk 2 not recognized" even though there isn't one and never was.
There's no difference on this behaviour by changing the adapter's master/slave jumper.

Extended set-up (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+DEL) does not report a second disk. Only the first one.
Gsetup31 does not find second one either.

I guess I'm stuck with this behaviour? I have not found any original Olivetti set-up software for PCS 33 if there is any that could solve the issue.

Second question:
Disk drive is "caching" read data. I first thought it was a sign of failing disk drive.
After changing the disk drive it acts exactly like the first one.

It simply lists (DIR command) the same files for every disk unless I on purpose eject the disk and let the command fail (Not reading drive A) and then retry.
Somehow I managed to install MS-DOS 6.22 with disks and this wasn't the problem. I have tried several disks and two disk drives.

Thanks for any help.

retro rack