VOGONS

First post, by McM4r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Folks, I wonder if any of you had tried or there's a possibility that sapphire HD 3850 agp can be updgraded to 1gb vram? I'm asking because the sapphire PCIe one, despite the connector, is the same pcb, same brand of memory (qimonda in general), same power phases for vcore and vmem, same socket type for vram (BGA 136) and adequate operating voltage for them between 1.8-1.9v. AGP 512 mb have 64mb x8 modules, and 1gb 128mb x8 modules, model HYB18H1G321AF and this memory chip is present on many HD 3850 manufacturers, like club 3d, powercolor, asus and even on the most recent HD 4850 1gb pcie, would be fantastic achieve 1gb on 3850 agp with mem clocks above 1000mhz (the qimonda chip is easily capable of). Nowadays is very common to see vram upgrades like the rx570 4gb >8gb, rx480 4gb >8gb, rtx 2060 6gb>12gb even rtx 3070 8gb>16gb, so the question is HD 3850 AGP why not?
Ps. Unfortunately my micro soldering skills are very awful 🙁

download/file.php?mode=view&id=158138
download/file.php?mode=view&id=158137
download/file.php?mode=view&id=158136

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Technically possible with additional BIOS modding. Practically useless for such weak hardware.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 3, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, 512MB is as much as a HD3850 can reasonably use. Wherever you'd get any meaningful (in percentage at least) performance increase, the GPU would be too slow to output playable frame rates. It's not worth risking an uncommon late-AGP graphics card.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 3, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It could be done , but you have to keep in mind what you gain . On newer gpus for high res gaming it would make sense but on old ones , not all the time . Ex : in the experiment i did on a FX5200 (going from 128mb to 256mb) i'm loosing about 550 points in 3d mark 2001 (going from 128 to 256) . I didn't had to mod the bios for the memory size , all was done by moving resistor jumpers so i think in most cases , If you don't put the bios from another gpu pcb implementation / gpu model , it can be done at a hardware level only . On old video cards for the best performance gain , you have to keep in mind what type of games you play and how much VRAM they require because of the benefits of having more VRAM / the computing power lost to address more VRAM . (I'm keeping my FX5200 on 128Mb even if it has 256Mb now and i did more because of the faster speed memory IC's) . So Yes if your doing it with memory overclocking in mind / No for only the size increase .