VOGONS

First post, by fingerehrmantraut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i wanted to install Windows 95 on this old laptop that has Windows 98 SE because it's too slow for it, so i tried to format the HDD and stuff but:

- This floppy Drive doesn't read the bootdisk at all, even though the led flashes and it was making a few noises (so it's not entirely dead). I tried to put the bootdisk (even empty ones) in every laptop that i have and they work perfectly fine, so the problem comes only from this floppy drive and not from any disks.

- The CDROM is unbootable. When i put the Win 98 CD Rom disk, it doesn't show the Windows 98 Startup menu. So the Windows98 SE CD method to install Win 95 without floppy disks doesn't work either. The only thing that is bootable from the BIOS is the Floppy Drive or the HDD.

I pressed F8, went in the Windows' startup menu and chose the option 8: Previous Version of MS-DOS, and DOS loaded up fine. Then i went to the D:\ directory with the Win95 installation files and run format.com from the bootdisk folder that i took from the unbootable disk. An error message popped up saying "Incorrect MS-DOS Version", so i installed DOSVER to get through this. Write on the format c: command, the "warning all data will be lost" appeared, pressed S and then enter... and nothing happened.

Is there any way to fix this or any other method to install Win95 without floppy drive?

Reply 1 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Take the drive out of the laptop and hook it up to another computer running Windows 95 or an earlier MS OS.

Probably need to get a 40-pin to 44-pin IDE adapter to do this.

Do a format /s on the drive and then use fdisk to set the partition to be active.

Then copy the Windows 95 files from the CD to say C:\Win95 on that hard drive.

Place the drive back in the laptop and let it boot and then run the setup from the C:\Win95 folder.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 19, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could have disabled many feature of Windows 98 SE like the UI additions of IE4 using Microsoft TweakUI making the computer to go faster without having to reinstall anything. But what is done, is done.
Not all Windows 98 CD can be started from the BIOS. Only the OEM versions can. Other version needs a floppy.
Not all BIOS can boot CD. The option began to be generalized from the Pentium II/K6 era.
Maybe your floppy drive heads need some cleaning, does it try to read?
Are you sure your HDD is healthy? You haven't tell anything about your machine, but very slow Windows 9x and programs for HDD not running/working can be linked to a HDD issue.
DOSVER is useful to force programs that want specific version of MS-DOS to run if you are sure they will work on the newer version. But it is not useful for Windows installation as it sure have specifics algorithms to check and validate files.
What you can do as @cyclone3d said. Connect your HDD to your "modern" computer. Though I would recommend to make an image with tools like dd or WinImage then you can use this image with emulator such as PCem to prepare it the way you want. It will let you know if bad sectors are found. Then you start a created VM with a Windows 95 Emergency Repair Disk image. Then I would recommend to fix the MBR with A:\FDISK /MBR. After a restart try to format it using A:\FORMAT C: /S, restart again. If MS-DOS 7.0 (Starting Windows 95...) starts it's ok. Finally, you can use some tools like WinImage to access your HDD content and add the Windows 95 installation files. Put the disk back in the laptop. It should start and there you can install your OS.
Once everything is installed properly and working, It is a good idea, to redo the backup of the disk part.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 3 of 19, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

assuming you can boot from the cdrom, burn a boot manager (bootable cd wizard) that will allow you to boot a win95 or msdos floppy .img file from a cdr/cdrw. if the laptop has usb you can burn plop boot manager on a cdr/cdrw which will allow you to boot from usb (yumi or another boot manager that uses syslinux) and you can use the same floppy .img method or something else.

i run win95 rtm on my pentium laptop and even with a pcmcia cf reader the floppy is valuable. it's worth buying a cleaning disk with isopropyl alcohol to try.

also, if your hdd were still bootable you could have added grub4dos to the windows boot menu which would have allowed you to boot from a floppy/cd/hdd image file. always remember to make the first partition active (boot flag) if you repartition.

Reply 4 of 19, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried cleaning the floppy drive? If it's spinning, but not reading disks it might just have a dirty read/write head.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 19, by fingerehrmantraut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Datadrainer wrote on 2023-02-26, 11:31:
You could have disabled many feature of Windows 98 SE like the UI additions of IE4 using Microsoft TweakUI making the computer t […]
Show full quote

You could have disabled many feature of Windows 98 SE like the UI additions of IE4 using Microsoft TweakUI making the computer to go faster without having to reinstall anything. But what is done, is done.
Not all Windows 98 CD can be started from the BIOS. Only the OEM versions can. Other version needs a floppy.
Not all BIOS can boot CD. The option began to be generalized from the Pentium II/K6 era.
Maybe your floppy drive heads need some cleaning, does it try to read?
Are you sure your HDD is healthy? You haven't tell anything about your machine, but very slow Windows 9x and programs for HDD not running/working can be linked to a HDD issue.
DOSVER is useful to force programs that want specific version of MS-DOS to run if you are sure they will work on the newer version. But it is not useful for Windows installation as it sure have specifics algorithms to check and validate files.
What you can do as @cyclone3d said. Connect your HDD to your "modern" computer. Though I would recommend to make an image with tools like dd or WinImage then you can use this image with emulator such as PCem to prepare it the way you want. It will let you know if bad sectors are found. Then you start a created VM with a Windows 95 Emergency Repair Disk image. Then I would recommend to fix the MBR with A:\FDISK /MBR. After a restart try to format it using A:\FORMAT C: /S, restart again. If MS-DOS 7.0 (Starting Windows 95...) starts it's ok. Finally, you can use some tools like WinImage to access your HDD content and add the Windows 95 installation files. Put the disk back in the laptop. It should start and there you can install your OS.
Once everything is installed properly and working, It is a good idea, to redo the backup of the disk part.

i want win 95 mostly because of the sound incompatibilities that i'm having with win 98. This laptop has an OPTi 82C930 on it, and the drivers are only for Win 3.1 or 95.

The HDD is almost done i believe. The bios doesn't recognize it for a couple of minutes everytime i try to boot up after a long period. The laptop is a notebook computer multimedia model 86, 133 Mhz Intel Processor, 40 MB of Ram.

I'll try to clean the Floppy Drive first. If nothing changes, i'll proceed to connect the HDD to another computer and install the OS from it.

Thanks, by the way.

Reply 6 of 19, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fingerehrmantraut wrote on 2023-02-25, 20:52:

I pressed F8, went in the Windows' startup menu and chose the option 8: Previous Version of MS-DOS, and DOS loaded up fine. Then i went to the D:\ directory with the Win95 installation files and run format.com from the bootdisk folder that i took from the unbootable disk. An error message popped up saying "Incorrect MS-DOS Version", so i installed DOSVER to get through this. Write on the format c: command, the "warning all data will be lost" appeared, pressed S and then enter... and nothing happened.

Is there any way to fix this or any other method to install Win95 without floppy drive?

Which version of Windows 95 do you have? Remember that version A (as opposed to B or C) aren't compatible with FAT32. Even if you have a good release, you may find that running the Windows 98 format.com-utility will work better when you have started Windows 98 in DOS-mode.

So my suggestions go as follows:
- Start Windows 98 using the F8 key, but choose Safe-Mode command prompt only to avoid loading any drivers etc.
- cd c:\windows\command (to ensure you will run the built-in formatter)
- format c:
- d:
- cd win95
- setup

Don't do the above before you have made sure you have at least version B or C of Windows 95, as version A may fail to register drive C if it's FAT32 formatted.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 7 of 19, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe that would go something like this:
- format c:
> formatting...
> command interpreter not found, please enter location of command.com
...and if you tried to be clever "format c: /s" instead, it might not know where to copy the system files from after formatting.
But don't take my word for it, I'm only like 90% sure. Try it in e.g. a VM before you nuke the laptop.

Imho format/s'ing the drive in another machine and copying the windows setup on it, then putting it back is your best bet.

...actually, hold on. One more thing you could try is to ensure the bootability of the windows setup disc in another machine known to support CD booting. If necessary, you can rebuild the image to be bootable (read up on mkisofs and its eltorito boot options) and give the laptop another chance to boot from it.

Reply 8 of 19, by fingerehrmantraut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2023-02-26, 16:31:
Which version of Windows 95 do you have? Remember that version A (as opposed to B or C) aren't compatible with FAT32. Even if yo […]
Show full quote

Which version of Windows 95 do you have? Remember that version A (as opposed to B or C) aren't compatible with FAT32. Even if you have a good release, you may find that running the Windows 98 format.com-utility will work better when you have started Windows 98 in DOS-mode.

- Start Windows 98 using the F8 key, but choose Safe-Mode command prompt only to avoid loading any drivers etc.
- format c:
- d:
- cd win95
- setup

Don't do the above before you have made sure you have at least version B or C of Windows 95, as version A may fail to register drive C if it's FAT32 formatted.

when i do D: it keeps saying that the unit is not valid.

Reply 9 of 19, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fingerehrmantraut wrote on 2023-02-26, 19:15:
Which version of Windows 95 do you have? Remember that version A (as opposed to B or C) aren't compatible with FAT32. Even if yo […]
Show full quote

- format c:
- d:
- cd win95
- setup

...so earlier when you wrote:

Then i went to the D:\ directory with the Win95 installation files and run format.com

...this error did not occur, but now you get an error?

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 10 of 19, by fingerehrmantraut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2023-02-26, 19:24:
...so earlier when you wrote: […]
Show full quote
fingerehrmantraut wrote on 2023-02-26, 19:15:
Show full quote

- format c:
- d:
- cd win95
- setup

...so earlier when you wrote:

Then i went to the D:\ directory with the Win95 installation files and run format.com

...this error did not occur, but now you get an error?

i used the previous ms dos version, not the prompt commands.

Reply 11 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the drive is dying like you think, then you might as well change to an SSD.

You can get a m.2 to 44pin enclosure for less than $12 on eBay. Then get a cheap m.2 Sata drive and be done with messing with spinning rust on that system.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-02-26, 21:44:

You can get a m.2 to 44pin enclosure for less than $12 on eBay. Then get a cheap m.2 Sata drive and be done with messing with spinning rust on that system.

I think the same. Did exactly do this to fix a Mac Mini G4.
And that means something. Macs are finicky, usually: You need good compatibility at the hardware level.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Curious what old laptop do you have ? If the floppy and cdrom both have issues then YES the HD could also be failing. If hardware related it cannot be fixed by just using another computer to transfer files...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14 of 19, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bit late now, but my go-to is 98lite with the 95 Explorer for systems that are too slow for full 98SE.

Swap some assets from 95 and you’d never know the difference in day to day use but still get the superior driver support and stability

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 15 of 19, by fingerehrmantraut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-02-26, 21:44:

yeah i'm thinking about buying an SSD actually.

thanks.

Reply 16 of 19, by fingerehrmantraut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-02-26, 22:48:

Curious what old laptop do you have ? If the floppy and cdrom both have issues then YES the HD could also be failing. If hardware related it cannot be fixed by just using another computer to transfer files...

It's a very unknown laptop: a Computer Notebook Multimedia 86. It was made probably in Germany. Bought on Ebay for 25 (maybe 30€, i don't remember) a few years ago.

http://computermuseum.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/cat.p … 10&type=Laptops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fALZTke4tLw&l … nnel=ChristophK

This is the exact model, but mine has an Active Matrix LCD screen.

Reply 17 of 19, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not so uncommon actually, but it was known by so many different names because the real manufacturer is an ODM called Clevo. Companies sold Clevo laptops under their own brands but the FCCID gives it away, yours should say FMA86T on the underside.
I've got an FMA86D (dual-scan) which is somewhat less nice but is essentially the same - I've had to fix the hard drive flex cable, backlight and the floppy drive was broken 😀
You can find a bunch of drivers for it here: https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/edwin/laptops/ … 8600/index.html

Clous has a couple of them too, again with regional branding: https://www.clous.cz/carry-fma86t/

From what I recall and sadly that's quite faded now since I didn't take pictures or notes, the floppy drive may have been a Mitsumi D353F2 which is a belt driven floppy drive. Each D353F2 I've come across has been non-functional either from the belt failing or other problems with the drive.
I think the Teac FD05HG is a direct replacement with even the cable location being the same.

edit - I have no idea how I found this back at the time but this page has some useful information on the dip switches for the Clevo 86 laptop and some manuals: https://web.archive.org/web/20040610062209/ht … ptop/index.html

Reply 18 of 19, by fingerehrmantraut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-02-27, 01:22:
It's not so uncommon actually, but it was known by so many different names because the real manufacturer is an ODM called Clevo. […]
Show full quote

It's not so uncommon actually, but it was known by so many different names because the real manufacturer is an ODM called Clevo. Companies sold Clevo laptops under their own brands but the FCCID gives it away, yours should say FMA86T on the underside.
I've got an FMA86D (dual-scan) which is somewhat less nice but is essentially the same - I've had to fix the hard drive flex cable, backlight and the floppy drive was broken 😀
You can find a bunch of drivers for it here: https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/edwin/laptops/ … 8600/index.html

Clous has a couple of them too, again with regional branding: https://www.clous.cz/carry-fma86t/

From what I recall and sadly that's quite faded now since I didn't take pictures or notes, the floppy drive may have been a Mitsumi D353F2 which is a belt driven floppy drive. Each D353F2 I've come across has been non-functional either from the belt failing or other problems with the drive.
I think the Teac FD05HG is a direct replacement with even the cable location being the same.

edit - I have no idea how I found this back at the time but this page has some useful information on the dip switches for the Clevo 86 laptop and some manuals: https://web.archive.org/web/20040610062209/ht … ptop/index.html

wow so clevo is the one who really made those laptops, i thought it was just another company that was selling laptops not built by them, like sager and "network".

https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/edwin/laptops/ … 8600/index.html these are the the drivers for the notebook multimedia 86, right? thanks!

Reply 19 of 19, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I'm setting up my Win 95 / DOS install on this laptop now and they work 😀
The PCMCIA drivers for Windows 3.1 are nice, that lets PCMCIA and CF>PCMCIA adapters work in DOS.