VOGONS

First post, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a pentium build im putting together but the mobo wont recognize a keybaord is plugged in. I have tried two different ones, and I know this board never had this issue before. I can install a usb card and use a usb keyboard but that also run insto issues where it turns off and I cant use it when trying to select which device to boot from. Any ideas why the KB port wont work?

AhGheCy.jpg
RM0Kipb.jpg

Reply 2 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ideas ?

- Bad contact on the PS2 connector
- Bad contact on the mainboard din connector
- Bad contact on the PS2 - DIN adapter
- failed or missing component, fuse or smd emi filter on the mainboard
- failed trace on the mainboard due to corrosion
- failed keyboard controller on the mainboard
- wrong bios flashed causing wrong keyboard initialization.

for starters I'd check if you have 5v on the correct pin of the din connector and the subsequent pin in the din-ps2 connnector. (you need a powered on computer for this)
then check continuity on the data lines (best to do this with power off)

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 11, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you take pictures without the power cables plugged?
Like this it isn't helpful.

Check what weedeewee pointed out.
Do keyboard LEDs light up at power on? If you keep pressing a key does it issue any beep code?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4 of 11, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you able to test it with a real 5 pin DIN keyboard?
Can you feel the kbd connector on the motherboard loose or not making good connection ?

get a schematic of that motherboard and follow the traces of the keyboard to see if there is continuity... I think only 4 of the pins are connected
it should be fairly easy to see where they go

if everything is ok then it might be a problem with the keyboard controller

Good luck !

Reply 5 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can get leverage problems cracking the socket solder joints if you're not suuuuper careful with long plugs and adapters.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 11, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nunoalex wrote on 2023-03-07, 19:06:
Are you able to test it with a real 5 pin DIN keyboard? Can you feel the kbd connector on the motherboard loose or not making go […]
Show full quote

Are you able to test it with a real 5 pin DIN keyboard?
Can you feel the kbd connector on the motherboard loose or not making good connection ?

get a schematic of that motherboard and follow the traces of the keyboard to see if there is continuity... I think only 4 of the pins are connected
it should be fairly easy to see where they go

if everything is ok then it might be a problem with the keyboard controller

Good luck !

The second keyboard i tried is an actual 5 pin keyboard.
Ill take some pics with nothing plugged into the board and post them later.

Reply 7 of 11, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I think I had a similar issue (full story here: Re: Socket 5 - Dallas RTC replacement gone bad ). In my case, it was the fuse, which is relatively easy to replace. But as was already mentioned above, this may be just one of many possible solutions.

Reply 8 of 11, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Law212 wrote on 2023-03-07, 18:13:
I have a pentium build im putting together but the mobo wont recognize a keybaord is plugged in. I have tried two different ones […]
Show full quote

I have a pentium build im putting together but the mobo wont recognize a keybaord is plugged in. I have tried two different ones, and I know this board never had this issue before. I can install a usb card and use a usb keyboard but that also run insto issues where it turns off and I cant use it when trying to select which device to boot from. Any ideas why the KB port wont work?

AhGheCy.jpg
RM0Kipb.jpg

Well did you fix it ?

Reply 9 of 11, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nunoalex wrote on 2023-03-21, 14:37:
Law212 wrote on 2023-03-07, 18:13:
I have a pentium build im putting together but the mobo wont recognize a keybaord is plugged in. I have tried two different ones […]
Show full quote

AhGheCy.jpg
RM0Kipb.jpg

Well did you fix it ?

Well, I kind of fixed it. So I still cant get the PS/2 connections to work for the mouse of the keyboard. So I am going with the USB M&K. The reason the Keyboard stopped working after post, is that the BIOS was set to disable USB . SO once I figured that out, I went into BIOS and Enabled USB and USB Keyboard. So I can use those just fine .
NOw im trying to set up a compact flash drive for use with the computer. I saw a great video on this a while ago and now I cant find it.

Reply 11 of 11, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I DO have a suitable HDD I can use instead. WHich I did not have before. Doing so will be much easier, but I kind of want to see if this is doable first. Though the other part of me wants to get this up and running finally so I can get back to working on my backlog of retro games!