VOGONS

First post, by aLinux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello
i got a brand new sealed hp elitebook 8540w (thrift shop for about 10$)
this thing is packed with i7 Q740 with 24 gb ram and 500 gb hdd with nvidia quadro fx 1800m
fresh installed windows 7 x64 with all drivers.
tested gta 3 and fan got kinda loud so i took it apart and replaced the thermal compound with grizzly kryonaut. gpu old thermal was stoned !!!
after replacing thermal temps at startup idle is 30-40 C
started running gta 3 again and after 15 min of gameplay fan kicked in and temps are
63 C CPU and 76 C GPU (max temps during gameplay)
after exiting the game and let the laptop sit in idle for 10 min temps are 47 C CPU and 46 C GPU
does this thing have normal temps or to high ? cause i never owned such a mobile workstation ! and nothing i could find good online to know what temps are normal or not..
😐

Reply 3 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quad is a huge silicon die, also 45 watts TDP, and you need to redo the thermal paste with better one. Artic silver 5 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g with around 12w/mk tube or Hydronaut by 2 w/mk less but cheaper.
This is required to get best use of heat conduction because this is high end machine.

This is what this CPU looks like.

https://images.app.goo.gl/wCE3uWzvW8uc23c7A

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-03-30, 20:28:
Quad is a huge silicon die, also 45 watts TDP, and you need to redo the thermal paste with better one. Artic silver 5 or Therm […]
Show full quote

Quad is a huge silicon die, also 45 watts TDP, and you need to redo the thermal paste with better one. Artic silver 5 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g with around 12w/mk tube or Hydronaut by 2 w/mk less but cheaper.
This is required to get best use of heat conduction because this is high end machine.

This is what this CPU looks like.

https://images.app.goo.gl/wCE3uWzvW8uc23c7A

Cheers,

He already used Kryonaut to replace the old TIM. Still the bottleneck is the relatively small heatsink rather than thermal transfers between CPU and heatsink.

Reply 5 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a similar machine, EB 8740w and temps are normal. It's a very solid machine. I have stressed mine a lot (I have a i7-3740Q in it) with multi-threaded compilations for hours that made the temp rise up to 98C for extended periods of time and it never had a problem. But in normal operation including games, it usually doesn't go over 60-70C.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 7 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I refine the heatsink by lightly lapping with 600 grit sandpaper wrapped around with excess as handle small piece of metal cut from old cpu IHS. Lap once to check how much warp of the heatsink.

I do this on all the PS4 (all models) and Xbox one (all models) and both Xbox series S/X consoles I repair at work too. PS5 left alone. They were rough and some has bad wave. So far I heard nothing from people with repaired consoles and this was going on for 4 years.

But I need your attention: Xbox one (all models) and both Xbox series S/X consoles has major issue with type of thermal interface material. Even at 1 year old, the TIM has air bubbles over whole area of silicon die with
re-hardened excess TIM (yes, lot) as spacer around the die holding APU and heatsink apart, hence the air bubbles.
You need to fix that by remove old TIM and use MX-4 or MX-5, AS5, Hydroanaut or noctua NT-H2 and described above light lap. Also inspect carefully for flattened shiny particles and gently rub away with edge of PCB board. This leaves no mark on the silicon die and heatsink. X-clamp not the issue, I bend them bit more for more force.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.