VOGONS

First post, by Bubbaccia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,
this is my first post! I'm writing here since I'm looking for some information about an old 386DX 40.
Some time ago I rescued an MSI MS-3134 motherboard (https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/msi-ms-3134): the battery on the board was leaking, but fortunatley traces (and components) was not corroded.
After a clean-up with vinegar, lemmon juice and IPA and a quick check of capacitators, I powered up the computer and...... it started!
Now I'm looking for some more information about the board, since I don't have the manual and I'm unable to find it on the Internet / Webarchive.
The first question is: does somebody have the same board or a copy of the manual? There are some jumpers and connectors on the board, but I'have some problems to figure out the correct usage.
The second question is about the battery replacement (and is related to the first question): is already present on the board a connector (or a place to solder a connector) for an external battery? If not so, can I use a combination of CR2032 + diode as new battery, in order to power the clock and maintain BIOS settings? Do I need the use to diode to protect the battery? If I'm correct, the original Varta 3.6 battery was not rechargeable, so I suppose there is already a diode on the board to protect the battery.

Thank for helps and support!

Reply 1 of 1, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I´m sure the original battery was rechargeable - you can see the charging circuitry below the battery (2 transistors, 2 diodes and an some additional components).
I cannot find the typical 4-pin header for an external battery on this board, just a 5-pin one on top and this could be for anything else.
So a CR2032 with a diode is the simplest way here.