VOGONS

First post, by DJSkyhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,
I recently took up a project, I wanted to build the exact same gaming rig I had back in 1999, I was able to source all the stuff from various ebay auctions. I have run into an issue though, the Voodoo 3 3000 AGP card I have Im pretty sure is fried, it will boot up and go pass the bios however once windows 98 starts I get horrible artifacting and freezes, and under settings it only allows 256 colors at 640x480 no matter what 3dfx voodoo drivers I have installed, unfortunately the card was sold as is and I took a gamble, unfortunately I think its done for. Does this sound like a bad card or a conflict with something? I haven't touched any of this hardware since the early 2000's so stuff is slowly coming back to me. I also had a more modern geforce4 MX 440 which is an awful graphics card to begin with but I think its also messed up, that one worked a lot better displayed 32 bit color and had plenty of resolutions to pick from however as soon as any 3d acceleration type program would open it would either crash or display no textures and everything would be flickering. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Im about to just go back on ebay to look for another voodoo 3 3000 since a lot of the games I want to play from that era use the glide api.

-Patrick-

Modern System:
Intel i9 12900k liquid cooled
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080
64GB RAM @3600mhz
WD Blue 1TB SSD
Samsung 1 TB NvME drive

Vintage system:
Pentium 3 600mhz coppermine
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
383MB PC100 RAM
Iomega ZiP 100
80GB Hard drive
Windows 98

Reply 1 of 15, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like bad VRAM possibly, could try to replace the chips to see if that helps. That being said, the MX 440 really isn't as bad of a card as you think it is. It should play games up to 2001 or 2002 pretty well.

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 2 of 15, by DJSkyhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brian105 wrote on 2023-03-21, 20:29:

Sounds like bad VRAM possibly, could try to replace the chips to see if that helps. That being said, the MX 440 really isn't as bad of a card as you think it is. It should play games up to 2001 or 2002 pretty well.

Yeah I don't think its too bad of a card I just remember when it came out everyone called it just a geforce2 mx with some tweaks. The nvidia card I had back then after my voodoo 3 showed its age was a Geforce2 Ti and that lasted me well into the early to mid 2000's. Unfortunately I don't have the dexterity or patience to be doing any soldering of chips. I think I'm just gonna have to look for a different card.

Modern System:
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080
64GB RAM @3600mhz
WD Blue 1TB SSD
Samsung 1 TB NvME drive

Vintage system:
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
383MB PC100 RAM
Iomega ZiP 100
80GB Hard drive
Windows 98

Reply 3 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Older Geforce AGP are not getting cheaper. I suggest you look around and grab a Geforce2 or 3 Ti 200 or similar, the Gainwards, MSI, Visiontech, etc are all good cards.
Just be sure it has a tag or silkscreen on it so you know which GPU is on it.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 15, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MX440 > GF2 Ti
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/gf4mx/index.html scroll past all the theoretical 3dmark tests and look at quake/RTCW scores, especially in 32bit color mode

since yours is broken get another one, they are $5-10 and good enough

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah is why I said to make sure you know what GPU is on it. The MX400 is better than GF2, the GF3 is better than MX400 by GPU advancement....😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 15, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-22, 07:10:

yeah, might be one of those boards with internal 3.3V converter instead of wiring AGP directly to ATX socket.

Good one, I was thinking simply capacitors

Reply 10 of 15, by DJSkyhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-03-22, 08:53:

What model of motherboard are you using for the retro rig ?

I am using the motherboard that was in the tower which is a Dell Dimension XPS T6oo_r i looked on the mother board and I cant see a brand, I just know its the Intel 440BX chipset from 1999. I never even considered it to be the motherboard, the thing looks immaculate but who knows. I really hope its not the motherboard, I have found another voodoo 3 3000 that I will try this one I was told is guaranteed to work. Its already been tested if it does the same thing I guess it is the motherboard at that point.

Modern System:
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080
64GB RAM @3600mhz
WD Blue 1TB SSD
Samsung 1 TB NvME drive

Vintage system:
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
383MB PC100 RAM
Iomega ZiP 100
80GB Hard drive
Windows 98

Reply 11 of 15, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try the 3rd card , if the problem persists , try with a known good working PSU. If you still get the same result, post some decent pictures with the motherboard.

Reply 12 of 15, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Afaik Dell has always commissioned own boards (Pegatron/Foxconn/Compal/Wistron etc), and was leaning heavily on manufacturing cheaply ending up with a ton of bad capacitors.
https://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2022 … s-t___r-series/
AGP looks to be powered from ATX directly. Power supply could be a potential source of trouble, but wouldnt it monitor own 3.3V line and shutdown in case of bad output?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 13 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First things first, Don't try another Power supply!
This was the era when Dell didn't use a standard ATX connector, and all they did was move the connector over a bit stopping you from using a standard PSU! talk about a d*ck move.

It's easily fixed if your good with a soldering Iron, or you can buy adapters.
A Permanent Solution to the Dell 'Fake ATX' Power Supply Problem?

It's a real shame as the PSU's are decent and the Motherboard is made by Intel themselves (model number would be SE440BX-3) the OEM variant of the Seattle board.
But of course the hardware is about 25 years old now so problems will start cropping up.

I have the XPS T500 which is running both a GF4 Ti4600 and a V3 2000 PCI fine. I've also a Gateway with a slightly different Intel SE440BX-3 board run GF2 MX and GF4 MX So you most certainly should be able to use your V3 trouble free.

If it was me, my next step would be looking to convert it to proper ATX in whichever method you prefer as It'll need doing at some point anyway unless you want to referb the existing PSU and hope that solves the issue. After posting a pic of the motherboard here though as that's free!

Reply 14 of 15, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree with chinny22, first post a picture with the motherboard , so we can all understand what we are dealing with. If it's the version with the non standard power connector you will need a adapter to use a standard PSU or you will have to look for the PSU with proprietary connector.

Reply 15 of 15, by DJSkyhawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you to everyone with all there suggestions. So apparently I really did have two broken cards. I got another voodoo 3 3000 that was guaranteed working. I popped it in, installed the drivers and it works perfectly. Been playing all my favorite glide games!

Modern System:
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080
64GB RAM @3600mhz
WD Blue 1TB SSD
Samsung 1 TB NvME drive

Vintage system:
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
383MB PC100 RAM
Iomega ZiP 100
80GB Hard drive