VOGONS

First post, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

I've just done a CPU swap on my Win98SE PC, and as the title says, I no longer have keyboard input when using the Windows 98SE Recovery Bootdisk.

PC Specs:
Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine 1GHz (SL52R)
Gainward NVidia Geforce2 MX400 64MB
384Mb RAM
Sound Blaster Live! SB0220
Maxtor DiamondMax 80GB HDD
Gigabyte GA-60MM7E 1.1 Mobo

What makes this behaviour strange is that, when using a bootable Linux distro or interacting with the BIOS, keyboard input through USB or PS/2 works absolutely fine. It's only when the Win98 disk boots that I no longer have keyboard input.

Previous CPU was a Coppermine Celeron, also 1GHz, and when using that, I had input. However, given that other OSes and the BIOS seem fine, this leads me to believe this isn't a hardware issue?

Has anyone encountered this issue before?

Reply 2 of 5, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-04-20, 16:30:

What type of keyboard, ps2 or usb? Is usb legacy keyboard support enabled in bios?

I've tried USB and PS/2, though I mainly use PS/2. USB support is enabled in the BIOS.

Reply 3 of 5, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's strange, especially if you tried a ps/2 keyboard. A corrupted windows 98SE recovery bootdisk maybe, just to add to the 'weirdness', thou should not be related and have an effect, but it's clearly the thing that was changed, have you tried running your 'new' cpu at a lower fsb (100/66) ?

Reply 5 of 5, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-04-21, 10:21:

That's strange, especially if you tried a ps/2 keyboard. A corrupted windows 98SE recovery bootdisk maybe, just to add to the 'weirdness', thou should not be related and have an effect, but it's clearly the thing that was changed, have you tried running your 'new' cpu at a lower fsb (100/66) ?

Good call on the boot disk, swapping to a spare I had workedlike a charm!

Never seen floppies get corrupted like this before.
Thank you!