VOGONS

First post, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I've got this far with a motherboard I was given. I've posted here before for help and I've finally got it setup as a 'PC'.

Problem is it sounds fine and also sounds like it's posting/booting but the video is scrambled. I've recorded it here.

https://youtube.com/shorts/B98eoadzyMQ?feature=share

Do you think it's just the video card? I don't have another to test.

Thanks

Reply 2 of 11, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's the card at the top of this photo. I've tried all the ISA slots and made sure it's seated properly. It sounds like it's posting ok from the beep.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it were me, I would source another video card, (preferably a PCI one) to narrow down whether it is a motherboard or video card issue.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 11, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think the video card is broken, just misconfigured for the monitor type you are using. JP 1 is for vga/vesa selection (vga on closed, vesa opened). SW1 should be the output/monitor type selector. Wanted BIOS for VG-7000 OTIVGA OTI067 card .Try to find a manual for it or just 'play around' with the jumpers.

I see a ic on a socket, try to clean it and the ISA slot pins, also it's that your card in the picture or is it a picture from the web? If it's from the web, is your card populated in the expansion sockets for vram, if so try to clean those too.

Attachments

• monitortypeselect.jpg
    Filename
    monitortypeselect.jpg
    File size
    719.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 11, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a photo of my actual graphics card. Thank you for the tips, I will try out the different jumper configurations and also cleaning the contacts. What is an 'ic'?

Reply 6 of 11, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

'ic'= integrated circuit, they come in different shapes, sizes and packages (cases) and perform different tasks (accordingly with their internal layout), they are selected in the picture with blue. With green you have the sockets, their purpose is to allow a 'fast re/placement' of a IC without the need of soldering, in your case they allow the upgrade from 256kb to 512kb of vram for the video card.

Attachments

• ic.jpg
    Filename
    ic.jpg
    File size
    723.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 11, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2023-05-05, 08:01:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-05-04, 14:46:

If it were me, I would source another video card, (preferably a PCI one) to narrow down whether it is a motherboard or video card issue.

I second this.

probably this will be the easiest way.

Reply 9 of 11, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, thank you for all the advice. I will try the jumper settings (when i'm not in work ha ha) but also try and source a cheap PCI card. Any tips on an era appropriate card to look for on eBay? I've seen some super cheap new PCI cards on Amazon but I guess even these 8mb cards are too new for this board.

My monitor is Fujitsu Siemens Monitor SCENICVIEW b19 3. I know it's much later than the MB/graphics card but I guess they should be compatible. A quick Google says it's VESA compatible but I guess it should be displaying VGA?

Reply 10 of 11, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stu_e_hughes wrote on 2023-05-05, 08:23:

OK, thank you for all the advice. I will try the jumper settings (when i'm not in work ha ha) but also try and source a cheap PCI card. Any tips on an era appropriate card to look for on eBay? I've seen some super cheap new PCI cards on Amazon but I guess even these 8mb cards are too new for this board.

They should work just fine if you don't plan to game, but for games performance/compatibility we need to know what are the video cards.

Reply 11 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMO cards such as a Trident one megabyte PCI video card are very useful for diagnostic purposes. They are pretty easy to find, and will sometimes work in older motherboards where newer video cards won't.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey