VOGONS

First post, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all, i recently got my hands on a Soyo SY-4SAW2 Rev WA3 and there was a bit of battery damage. I cleaned and replaced the battery with a cr2032, i removed the d2 diode to stop the charging. The thing is that it depletes the battery very fast! I install a new battery, it stores the settings correctly and after a couple of days, while the power cord is plugged in, the battery is empty and the settings reset if i power down the pc! I haven't changed the bios chip. I flashed a new bios with no problem whatsoever!

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Reply 2 of 4, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2023-05-18, 07:00:

Are you sure the diode was there for charging purposes and not to shut off the battery when AC power is connected?

Fairly sure! I saw others do the small mod. They removed the diode. Now if this was the case how could i test it?

Reply 3 of 4, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can put the diode back(the one you removed) and just ad a schottky diode with a low v fdrop (~0.2v) between the + battery and + from the motherboard to keep the current flowing only in one direction and test after that. This way no matter if the circuit was designed with charging in mind, because of the added diode it will not be able to. You can test if it's because of 'something you did' or there is some kind of a short somewhere.