VOGONS

First post, by markjw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - just been given a Toshiba Satellite 2100CDS laptop - it is in good condition, powers up and looks like it has an extra 32MB RAM added, however have the following issues with it:
1. CMOS battery is dead - does anyone know what type of battery is needed, guessing it is not going to be a CR2032
2. The 4.3GB HDD is dead - does try to start up but then gives nasty grinding noises so will have to be replaced - any suggestions on an IDE to SD adapter for the 2100CDS as the drive slides in from the side of the machine rather than being accessible by removing a bottom cover (that would be too easy) - also any idea on the max drive size that would be supported

There seems to be very little info on this machine available online apart from basic specs etc, though I have found a FRU guide which although useful is lacking on any details
thanks, Mark

Reply 1 of 1, by markjw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

actually some good news on this machine - was speaking to a friend about it and he has given me a Fujitsu 80GB 2.5" IDE drive - have fitted it, is detected and the laptop attempts to boot the OS that is on it (fails as looks like XP so wrong drivers).
He also told me that a lot of Toshiba laptops from that era used a 2.4V NiMh battery - if so can get one for sub-£10 on eBay

edit: also found a seller with 128MB PC100 SODIMMs so can upgrade to the max 160MB RAM