VOGONS

First post, by mcbeav

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm in the process of upgrading an old Gateway E-3400 desktop to be a Windows 98 gaming PC. I attached a photo of the PSU specs, but I am planning on putting a few extra peripherals in the PC, and I don't understand anything about the rails and power consumption. I was hoping someone could help give me an idea or point me in the right direction on how to determine if I will be overloading the PSU, or if I will be okay.

There are 4 molex connectors and 1 floppy connector available on the PSU all of which will be in use. 2 of the molex connectors will be split into 2 connectors.

The planned PC parts are:

P3 1GHz, 100MHz FSB
ELSA Banshee Voodoo AGP GPU (Voodoo 3)
Nakamichi 5 Disc CD Changer
LS120 Superdisc Drive
Zip Disk Drive
Gotek Floppy Emulator
PATA 32GB SSD
CF Card Using CF Card Adapter
Serdashop HDD Clicker
512MB RAM
56K PCI Modem
SCSI PCI Card
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI Card

I'm planning on splitting one of the molex connectors into 2 floppy connectors to power the CF card & the Gotek Floppy Emulator, and splitting 1 molex connector into 2 to power the Zip Disk Drive & the HDD Clicker.

Looking for some advice or information on how I can determine if I am going to be overloading the PSU, or how I can maybe calculate what I need.

Attachments

• PSU.png
    Filename
    PSU.png
    File size
    744.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 1, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

145W PSU for 1Ghz PIII machine with a bunch of peripherals? Nah, won't do. Plus that PSU is really old, so you're asking for trouble by pushing it over the edge.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.