VOGONS

First post, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

As someone new to building retro PC's. It would be super handy to have a guide somewhere, where you could cross-reference the different hardware and specs across different eras of PC's.

I can find the info online if I look for the individual manufacture date etc of certain hardware. But this isn't ideal to get an overview when making a build to make sure it's correct for the period.

Is there anywhere that has an overarching spreadsheet/cross-reference for eras of PC hardware by CPU, MB, memory etc? So that I could see for instance which hardware specifications were used for a particular year or PC build?

Many thanks

Reply 1 of 3, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just FYI for anyone. This is basically the kind of thing I was looking for. Would be nice it was more detailed and went into the 2000's but a good start.

https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/typical_pc_per_year.php

Reply 2 of 3, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I strongly recommend browsing various PC magazines on The Internet Archive (archive.org).

It's not a spreadsheet per say, but you can see month by month exactly what different "low" "mid" "high" specs were back then.

Reply 3 of 3, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2023-06-19, 10:34:

I strongly recommend browsing various PC magazines on The Internet Archive (archive.org).

It's not a spreadsheet per say, but you can see month by month exactly what different "low" "mid" "high" specs were back then.

That's a sound advice. Some magazines like computer gaming world also have their own website. Also worth checking out.